Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2011, 05:31 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times

Advertisements

We have had several snows already this season - which is unusual, as we only average 13 inches of now per winter on average. We have already seen more than that.

This started when we had an ice storm before Christmas... it bent down my Loblolly pines, Sand Pine, and Slash lines.... down like rainbows! They are anywhere from 4-6 years old, some as tall as 12 ft, even those bent down big time with a heavy ice on them. My Longleaf pines had some branches broken, but they didnt bend down.

I dont recall our White pine trees bending like this. NOW, since they are all bent already, these snows we have been getting are pulling them back down big time. I finally decided it was high time to drive some stakes and tie them up with more snow in the forecast! I have a feeling its going to be a very snowy winter. They may have straightened up themselves, but I was not sure, so I went ahead and tied them up.

I know that ice is heavy, but it seemed to effect these trees more than anything and they have an easy tendancy to bend! I am wondering, is this charactaristic of these trees? How do the rest of these in the rest of southeast survive the storms?

Here are some pics from the December 2010 ice storm we had here in northeast Tennessee...

Florida Sand pine...

Slash pine (this is about a 13 ft tall tree....

these are a mix of Sand Pines, Loblolly pines and Slash pines...

Loblolly pine and Southern Live Oak...

Another of my Southern Live Oaks... (has recovered)

Longleaf pine...

Needle palm... (has recovered)

Southern Magnolia...

On the cars...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Old 01-09-2011, 07:06 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Yes, that is typical. We saw it here in Georgia with the blizzard of 1993, which kept us trapped in our subdivision for about a week. The weight of the ice is also a good way to prune dead limbs off trees --- which is the reason the utility lines get taken out.

The pine saplings do not tend to recover very well.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:15 PM

Thanks Suzy... well mine are tied up now and well supported, so they wont do this again this year anyway. lol.

With all of the heavy snow in the deep south tonight, I bet many of them are leaning now!

Old 01-13-2011, 11:17 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Thanks Suzy... well mine are tied up now and well supported, so they wont do this again this year anyway. lol.

With all of the heavy snow in the deep south tonight, I bet many of them are leaning now!
Ah yes.....Pine Bondage----It does seem to be a Southern thing, I don't recall seeing any tied up trees in Alaska, or Delaware, or Upper New York State. Methinks we worry over-much at times, down here, in the sunny south. I have often heard of sleet being refered to as "Natures' Pruning Shears".

Old 01-14-2011, 08:55 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
It's sad to see southern trees succumb to winter weather. That's why you don't see most of these species up north.

The longleaf pine pic is really cool! I really enjoy those trees when they transition from their grass phase to their "bolt" phase.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden