Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 12:00 PM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times

Advertisements

Live in the northeast and I know the threat of "widow maker" tree's. I've always trimmed or pulled risky trees as we live in an urban area and the potential damage is not worth the risk. So, I have a neighbor behind me that rents his house and his trees in his backyard have me worried. Their large, maybe 60 to 75 ft. pin oak tree's. We just had a storm come thourgh and I had one of my own trees lose a 40 ft. branch in my yard from a tree I had trimmed this summer and it's fairly young. I turned my attention to my neighbors tress with the storm from last night as the snow with rain combo could have threatened the stability of many trees.

I'm thinking to send a letter documenting the tree's lack of maninenance (visible to the eye are large branches with dangling dead wood as well as dead spots where branches have just fallen. There are also tons of small branches on the lower base of the tree that would point to no maintenance)
as well as document the dead wood and the sheer size of the tree and its' potential to cause terrible damage.

Any input on writing a "nice" letter that is received well so that the neighbor actually wants to act on it and not get a ********* attitude? Thanks.

*****Wanted to add these trees all have brown dried leaves still intact on mostly the lower part of the tree--any idea why this occurred?****

Last edited by Skatergirl; 01-27-2011 at 12:40 PM.. Reason: added question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 01:08 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,046,364 times
Write the letter to the property owner, not the tenant, the owner is responsible for the property and any damage that could happen. Just keep the letter short, polite and sincere.

Dear Sir, In regard to your property at _____. We are concerned about the amount of deadwood in your trees and what has fallen off in recent storms, that someone or our property could be damaged from falling branches in the next bad storm. We would appreciate it if you would give some consideration to having your trees trimmed to minimize these potential risks. Sincerely...

Old 01-27-2011, 02:03 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We were advised the same thing by our insurance agent. You can't force someone to remove a tree, but if you have documentation that the owner was made aware of the risk, then any damage the tree does to your property, his insurance will pay.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
i was going to say, make sure to keep a copy of the letter, and get is sent registered with recipt so that should something happen you have proof that not only you sent the letter but that he recived it.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:04 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Write the letter to the property owner, not the tenant, the owner is responsible for the property and any damage that could happen. Just keep the letter short, polite and sincere.

Dear Sir, In regard to your property at _____. We are concerned about the amount of deadwood in your trees and what has fallen off in recent storms, that someone or our property could be damaged from falling branches in the next bad storm. We would appreciate it if you would give some consideration to having your trees trimmed to minimize these potential risks. Sincerely...
Agreed...although I would add to the "minimize these potential risks" to read "minimize these potential risks and your liability". Just as a reminder of WHO will be held financially responsible in the event of property damage or injury.

A good friend of mine was almost killed in October due to an event such as what you fear...the story made national news. While these risks are often overlooked they are VERY REAL and you have valid reason to be concerned.

Old 01-28-2011, 09:25 AM

948 posts, read 3,355,361 times
Default Thanks to all for the posts

I have drafter a letter with your input. Appreciate all the input!

Old 01-28-2011, 11:02 AM

15,370 posts, read 39,098,836 times
turn a pack a woodchucks lose in his yard

Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynimagelv View Post
turn a pack a woodchucks lose in his yard
I just knew someone was going to say this . yes write that letter and if anything happens yes you are covered by his insurance company ..

Old 01-28-2011, 06:08 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I would basically mention it in talkigto him plus make sure I have good insruance coverage. Its doubtful that sueing will happen and mos likely your insurnce would cover it from a storm.It woud be up tot hem to decide if they sue to recover but doubt they will from my experience in storms like hurricanes.Always good to be on good terms with a neighbor really because of thsi type thing.Don't count solely on his insuranc eis my advise becuase acts of god are not counted and hard to make a case aginst i a storm type situation.Even then it can take years to get to the final payment.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:20 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,122,956 times
I know in 'Yankeeland' if someone slips on your unshoveled sidewalk... it's an act of god.

If you shovel it and the same thing happens... it's your fault.

I'd assume the trees would be the same.

Sides, property rights and all that.

You can ask, but if they like em...

That's what you have insurance for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden