U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 05:21 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,910,342 times

Advertisements

Theres about a year or two worth of leaves on my property (under half an acre)...we have lots of trees. I have a sinkhole of sorts I can just blow leaves into for the next 30 years, so thats nice.

However, I noticed reading different reviews that leaf blowers seem to be a giant pain. A Lot of failures and maintenance.

i also want to know if a leaf blower (say, 150mph) is powerful enough to blow mulch? The previous home owner has mulch in places I dont want it-would be nice to blow it into the Pit, but not sure if thats feasible.

It miiiight be easier and cheaper in the long run to buy a rake, rake everything onto a tarp or collapsible leaf bucket/bag and drag it over to the pit and dump them in.

veteran homeowners, what say ye? Get the blower (if so, what do you recommend?) or do it the old fashioned way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 06:08 PM

4,114 posts, read 7,599,227 times
I use our 20+ yr old RedMax all the time...not sure they even make a comparable model anymore; ours was made in Japan, back then.

I use it to blow off our large deck and front deck walk, blow leaves on our 3 acres of woods and perennials, blow off the cars and m'cycles after a hand wash, before toweling, etc.

I have put 4 new plugs and cleaned the oiled air filter a few times, in 2 decades. I put Stabil in the mix for winter, and it starts every time. A backpack, which I like a lot. The model is not on mkt anymore, and RedMax may not be the hot tix these days, but if you get a decent brand/model and maintain it, you will wonder why you never had one, imo.
GL, mD

Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM

25,584 posts, read 30,493,706 times
They can be handy. not only for cleaning leaves. But gutters. Light dustings of snow and things like that.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 AM

80 posts, read 555,002 times
Get a blower/vacuum. If you have lots of trees like me, that will save you a lot of time. It vacuums and mulches leaves into a bag so disposal becomes easy. Initially, I bought a rake but I ended up buying one of these after raking hours for little results.

Old 02-11-2011, 12:53 PM

386 posts, read 1,122,078 times
I love a leaf blower. I think it is an old Black & Decker. Not only is it used in the traditional sense, it is great when the fireplace makes the smoke detectors go off. A few seconds with the leaf blower and the thing stops screaming. By the way, it was a new fireplace and the 'stuff' had not burned off yet, causing the smoke detectors to go off.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:09 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,133,598 times
I love my leaf blower and I use it all of the time. I think every homeowner should have one because they are so handy and save a lot of time for those small cleanup jobs. Your problem though sounds a little too big for a regular leaf blower. What you need is a walk behind type that the asphalt sealing guys use. They are at least 5 hp. and you can blow gravel with them. I don't know about your area but where I'm at you can rent them. It's amazing how much work you can get done with one of these in a day.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
This will handle all your needs.

BR 600 STIHL Magnum™ - Professional Use Backpack Blower | STIHL

Old 02-18-2011, 09:48 AM

5,162 posts, read 10,472,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
about a year or two worth of leaves on my property (under half an acre)...we have lots of trees. I have a sinkhole of sorts I can just blow leaves into for the next 30 years, so thats nice.
Under half an acre ???
If there is NO house on it, yeah big area to clean,
but WITH a house not that much !!! Come on ....

One good work out on a nice week end and you're done !!!

After that, just get an electric driven blower/vacuum unit that has the largest volume and pressure available when you compare brands.
Make sure it will mulch the leaves into a bag.
A gasoline driven one, is nice when you are out of electric outlets, but in your case, 1/2 an acre is less than two 100 feet extension cords !!!
I use the mulch on the areas where I can use it as mulch.

If you also have a lawn, you should have gotten a *High Vacuum* type lawn mower. That is how I get the leaves off the lawn each year.

Old 02-18-2011, 04:38 PM

1,055 posts, read 1,479,397 times
I had a leaf blower for years and rarely used it with multiple rural properties 2-10 acres. I found that putting the bag attachment of my lawn mower worked better, held more and didn't cause as many issues. I probably would have used my blower more but the bag was so tiny it wasn't worth the aggravation.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:56 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,696,306 times
I need a leaf blower....or do I?

Pick them up with a bagging lawn mower and use them for mulch on flowers or veggies!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or