Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 04:54 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times

Advertisements

Map shows where its blooming. I saw cherry blossom pics in DC today

https://twitter.com/EdValleeWx/statu...00434682724352
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 07:51 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
My crocuses have all bloomed. Many of my daffodils have buds. The tulips are sprouting. Daylilies are starting to show new green growth at ground-level. Crazy, upside-down weather has everything confused, including the birds who are singing their mating songs. Last night, I saw a moth hanging around my garage light, and a woolly caterpillar was crawling along my back stairs!

I hope we don't get too much cold weather in March, because it will kill off my spring bulbs that are blooming. I keep wondering what we will have left to bloom in April.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:53 PM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knox Harrington View Post
We're in Indiana and the maple trees in our yard started budding a couple of weeks ago in early/mid February. It was 75 degrees here yesterday! In Indiana, in February! Of course, it's now 35 today (but warming up again soon).

By the way, am I the only one from the Midwest who remembers when birds flew south for the winter? Nobody talks about that. We never had ducks and geese in the winter when I was a kid. You could set your clocks by their migratory patterns. Now, all of the migratory birds are here year-round.
I'm not from the midwest, but I remember when Robins used to migrate. Not any more. I worry that one day, the juncos will no longer come down to NJ from Canada during the winter. I love the juncos.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:16 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
My late aunt, who lived in England until age 15, used to tell me about the Scilly Islands and she would tell me that palm trees grew in the south of England. It's very different from over here in the US.

Over here, we can grow things in the north that they can't grow in the south. Lilacs, for one. I think somewhere around Virginia on the east coast, is the cut off point for lilacs. It gets way too hot in summer for them.

But they have something I had never seen: Crepe myrtle trees. Probably lots of other plants to but that's the one that was so outstanding to me. Magnificent trees and they were everywhere. I had to ask what they were.

I don't know where camellias start but I have only seen one once and that was in Florida.

The US has a range of extreme climates while the UK has a moderate climate that can accommodate a wider range of plants.
We have camellias in GA and my son has them in NC. Not sure how much further north they grow.

Old 02-27-2017, 07:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
No budding, but hundreds of robins have returned.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:21 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
My plum trees are not only in full bloom which happens a week or so before the leaves bud, but the leaves are fully out of bud. On the peach trees, which generally are a month behind the plums, blooms and opened leaf buds. One of my maple trees is a glorious red/brown with all the leaf buds opening. Daffodils around here, especially in open fields have been in full bloom for at least 2 weeks. And even the pitiful almond bush has sprouted flowers - guess it's surviving yet another year.

Old 02-27-2017, 08:31 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
We have camellias in GA and my son has them in NC. Not sure how much further north they grow.
We have camellias in zone 7b in VA. I have a neighbor whose Dad was a great gardener; he has both summer and winter camellias in his yard. They are more than 12 ft. tall and just gorgeous! My friend down the street has one that looks like a giant torch when it's blooming. I have one that grows well but has only bloomed once; I may move it this year. And as far as crepe myrtles go, my yard is the go-to spot for them: I'm up to 20 of them now, all of them very bright colors of red, magenta, fuschia, and purple.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:50 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Now that we had the two days of near 70 degree weather I am thrilled to report that there are big fat buds on my lilac bush. And, underneath the straw, there are some feathery fern like perennials coming up.

Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,212,917 times
Our Crocus and Daffodils have bloomed . Forsythia and trees are blooming here in lower Delaware.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:55 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
i dont know if it`s dogwoods or wild Bradford pears but i see a lot of white blooms in north bama ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden