U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 02:59 PM

5 posts, read 19,029 times

Advertisements

ok i live in CO and i have 2.5 acres my concern right now is my front yard. it is full of native grass and weeds. i concider the native grass weeds aswell cause they only grow in clumps and their soft.

also i have some little rodent mole or gopher things that constantly dig holes and make huge mounds of dirt.

what is the best way to totally clean my yard of weedsand then level it so the lawn mower ride isn't so bumpy and how to do i kill and prevent these rodents from coming back ?

i was thinking of pulling a box scrapper behind my 23 hp lawn tractor for the weed removel and leveling.

but i don't know if that is the best way to do it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 11:26 AM

anyone? have advice? will this work

Old 03-07-2011, 11:44 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,124,493 times
Maybe people are afraid of your screen name. Reminds me of Ruby ridge and Waco.

Ok I would first try and kill off the moles, gophers, weeds etc...

Then i would rip the soil 12-18 inches removing all large rocks etc...

Then rototill adding amendments. Have your soil tested by the nearest extension office and recommendations for additives.

Then you can regrade the soil. Water to sprout more weed and kill them off again. Do this several times to compact the soil and eliminate as man weeds as possible.

I would rent a small tractor with the implements for the soil prep given your large yard. Ripper, tiller, grading box and rake.

Then I would plant grass.

Old 03-07-2011, 12:47 PM

that's been my screen name for years. it's video game related.

thank you for the advice, i've been lookign into ways to kill the gophers and moles and theres some type of smoke bomb thing i drop down their holes and cover up.

so your say kill all the weeds and everything with some cheicals and then wait a few days and then rip up the whole area i want to plant grass?

should i rototill to tare everythign up or what should i use?

i'm really new to the home owner scene, sorry

Old 03-07-2011, 01:41 PM

1,118 posts, read 1,970,075 times
grass killer
wait 2 weeks
till it
level it
plant the seed

I think that's a pretty basic plan, might need to be tweaked a little bit

Old 03-07-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmilitia View Post
that's been my screen name for years. it's video game related.

thank you for the advice, i've been lookign into ways to kill the gophers and moles and theres some type of smoke bomb thing i drop down their holes and cover up.

so your say kill all the weeds and everything with some cheicals and then wait a few days and then rip up the whole area i want to plant grass?

should i rototill to tare everythign up or what should i use?

i'm really new to the home owner scene, sorry
LOL no prob I'm kind of a SHTF guy myself. Anywho.

OK couple of quick questions. How big is the area you actually want to redo. Is it 2.5 acres or is that your whole property. I'm trying to get an idea of the size of the area to be redone. Hopefully you don't have 2.5 acres of grass. Get more specific and I can tailor my answer on the ground prep.

For the gophers: If you know any farmers with a pest certification you can get your self some Fumitoxin gas tablets. Only way I've ever been successful at riding an area completely of pocket gophers and moles. Barring that just water, smoke bombs, traps, flares, Dynamite ala Bill Murry in caddyshack.

You'll be fighting them for years if your neighbors are not killing them as well.

Get back to me on the yard dimensions.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
LOL no prob I'm kind of a SHTF guy myself. Anywho.

OK couple of quick questions. How big is the area you actually want to redo. Is it 2.5 acres or is that your whole property. I'm trying to get an idea of the size of the area to be redone. Hopefully you don't have 2.5 acres of grass. Get more specific and I can tailor my answer on the ground prep.

For the gophers: If you know any farmers with a pest certification you can get your self some Fumitoxin gas tablets. Only way I've ever been successful at riding an area completely of pocket gophers and moles. Barring that just water, smoke bombs, traps, flares, Dynamite ala Bill Murry in caddyshack.

You'll be fighting them for years if your neighbors are not killing them as well.

Get back to me on the yard dimensions.

the area of the yard that i want to do right now is about half an acre. there is 2 small dead trees that i need to pull up and then i want to plant about 15 trees in a sortof L shape. near the road.

i goggle mapped/ms painted my house and the area i want to take care of.
Attached Thumbnails
help how do i prep my yard for grass-untitled.bmp  

Old 03-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Ok now I understand the scope of work.

Give me a day I'll get back to you. In the mean time SPRAY THOSE WEEDS. LOL

Old 03-09-2011, 07:47 PM

Once you have killed all the weeds and removed the debris mix in about five cubic yards of organic mulch. I would rent a Bobcat or Kubota tractor with a tiller attachment. Use the Bobcat to spread the mixture and till it in at about a depth of 12-16 inches. Then you can use the tractor to grade your yard. I use a Skid Steer Bobcat to accomplish these tasks regularly. With the area you have you should be able to take care of the process in a weekend. Then you are good to go for what ever else you decide to do.

Good luck! If you have any other questions just post them.

Old 03-10-2011, 04:56 AM

15 posts, read 140,390 times
do you have a cat?
it will help you to cope with gopher
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or