Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:38 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times

Advertisements

The most interesting alternatives IMO are the varied plantings with paths, ground cover, small trees, and landscape sculptures. My lot has a small amount of grass area but even more gravel paths, planting beds, seating areas, etc. If you are up to the design and installation challenges you will be very happy with the long term results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I am trying to eliminate the vinca major (and the ivy) a previous owner planted in my yard. Both are very invasive and not the kind of thing you can walk on. it provides good harbor for snakes and traps moisture that makes it great for breeding mosquitoes. You can't walk on it because it will grow calf high. If you like the look of vinca, try vinca minor--it grows lower and is less aggressive. I have it in my yard and it actually looks pretty with its little blue flowers.

If you have trees, don't plant ivy. It will grow right up them, seeking as much light as possible, and ivy on trees is well-known for helping to bring them down in ice/wind storms.
I have vinca minor growing accidentally in my gardens, and it is invasive, too. I have been battling it for years and it's winning.

To the OP, is the area in sun or shade?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:01 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,543,889 times
Why not just plant a low maintenance grass like centipede? it's got a really low profile and doesn't require much mowing.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Grass overall is a relaively low maintenance way less you let nature take over. Just having a 42" zero turn mower will make trimming the major job on that size lawn even if cut weekly in summer. But even brushtype borders eventually wil take alot of trimmig if its not to takeover and that can be a job if not keepup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden