Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 11:00 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times

Advertisements

I'd like to learn how to garden but don't have a green thumb. I might try this, however, if it works. Anyone have experience with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 11:02 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,982,832 times
Ask yourself this one ... when was the last time an "as-seen-on-tv" product work as well as it was purported to be?

Old 03-21-2011, 11:04 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
Absolute waste of time and money! I tried it last summer. Between buying the topsy-turvy, the tomato plant, I got a whopping 4 tomatoes. Could have bought them cheaper at the Farmers Market.

If you really, really want to grow your own tomatoes, I would recommend container (patio) tomatoes. Better yield, less cost.

My topsy-turvy is going in the trash.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 AM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Buy a tomato plant. Using soil, transplant it to a very large pot. Put it outside in the sun. When it is dry water it. When it starts to make little yellow flowers, take some Miracle Grow tomato fertilizer and follow the directions and use it. Use it often while it is blooming and forming tomatoes. You can take a stake and stick it into the soil and tie the tomato plant to it when it starts falling over or you can just leave it that way. Enjoy your tomatoes. It's THAT easy.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:34 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,999,979 times
Thanks, everyone. I thought it looked to good to be true with all those tomatoes hanging from the planter. I will try it with the container and see how it goes. Question - what size diameter does the growing pot have to be to get a good amount of tomatoes?

Old 03-21-2011, 12:18 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
My neighbor and I both bought it last year with mediocre success. She also used it to grow a bell pepper plant that only grew 2 peppers. So, I would say, don't waste your money.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:51 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
It is a waste of money, I was duped into buying one last year and it didnt produce.
Instead I planted in the ground and got these jack and the beanstalk monsters.
This year I planted 2 plants both Big Boys in late Feb and so far so good...

Old 03-21-2011, 06:07 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
Well, my garden is all tilled up about 100ft wide by 60ft deep, I have rows put in and tomorrow, I'm gonna transplant some Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, and head Cabbage, these plants can take a mild frost, I'll wait until mid April before I start on squash (yellow crookneck, zucchini, butternut), Cucumbers, Sugar Baby Water Melons, cantalope, Onions, Garlic, Okra, Tomatos - Celebrity & Brandywine, Corn - Incredible. I am probably forgetting a few things, it's normal, I'll remember before I'm through planting.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:25 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Buy a tomato plant. Using soil, transplant it to a very large pot. Put it outside in the sun. When it is dry water it. When it starts to make little yellow flowers, take some Miracle Grow tomato fertilizer and follow the directions and use it. Use it often while it is blooming and forming tomatoes. You can take a stake and stick it into the soil and tie the tomato plant to it when it starts falling over or you can just leave it that way. Enjoy your tomatoes. It's THAT easy.
I'd say a pot that is 10-12" in diameter at the top. Just remember tomatoes love SUN and HEAT and they are heavy feeders.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:32 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,962,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
Well, my garden is all tilled up about 100ft wide by 60ft deep, I have rows put in and tomorrow, I'm gonna transplant some Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, and head Cabbage, these plants can take a mild frost, I'll wait until mid April before I start on squash (yellow crookneck, zucchini, butternut), Cucumbers, Sugar Baby Water Melons, cantalope, Onions, Garlic, Okra, Tomatos - Celebrity & Brandywine, Corn - Incredible. I am probably forgetting a few things, it's normal, I'll remember before I'm through planting.
Wow Dusty. Can I ask why you're planting SO MANY varieties? 60' X 100' is a size of small residential lot, which is HUGE for a vegetable bed. Are you selling the veggies or you just have a big family?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden