U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-25-2011, 03:53 PM
Status: "Not my president..." (set 10 hours ago)
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,443 posts, read 36,424,893 times
Reputation: 8561

Advertisements

I recently planted a dozen hostas in the shady areas of my yard, because they are supposed to do well in shade, and they are recommended for southern gardens. I just realized that I don't know what to expect come winter. Do the leaves all die back and need to be trimmed off? Does it die back to the roots and generate new growth each summer?

I can't seem to find any information on this in my web searches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-25-2011, 05:55 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,098 posts, read 9,319,103 times
Reputation: 7804
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I recently planted a dozen hostas in the shady areas of my yard, because they are supposed to do well in shade, and they are recommended for southern gardens. I just realized that I don't know what to expect come winter. Do the leaves all die back and need to be trimmed off? Does it die back to the roots and generate new growth each summer?

I can't seem to find any information on this in my web searches.
Waiting for an answer as well. I have a shaded area in a bed where I really need something and I like the looks of hostas, but I really need something, at least in part of the area, that is somewhat evergreen. I've never been good at picking out shade plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
Status: "Not my president..." (set 10 hours ago)
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,443 posts, read 36,424,893 times
Reputation: 8561
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Waiting for an answer as well. I have a shaded area in a bed where I really need something and I like the looks of hostas, but I really need something, at least in part of the area, that is somewhat evergreen. I've never been good at picking out shade plants.
Here are some resources I have found in Part 1, regarding shade tolerant plants for central Texas. Also included in Part 2 is a list of "Flame Proof Texas Plants" that survive your heat and droughts with little care. I can send you an email with a more detailed list and photos of these plants if you want to send your email address to me via private message.

Happy gardening...

Captain Ron


Quote:


==============1. Plants that do well in the shade ====================

Central Texas Gardener - Shade Plants (Multiple Gardeners)

Some of these plants get quite large (shrubs, small trees), so research them before buying.



==============2. Flame Proof Texas Plants ====================
The following plants are from a list I learned of from the Central Texas Gardener's show. FLAME PROOF TEXAS PLANTS Each year the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden tests more than 4,000 plants at the Dallas Arboretum Trial Gardens. The very best of those are awarded the “FlameProofTM” Plant Award.
This award is reserved for those plants that can take theTexas heat! Only plants which not only survive, but thrive n our blistering, burning, furnace blast of a Summer receive this award.

Some Like it Hot |
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 07:38 PM
 
Location: North Western NJ
6,591 posts, read 18,188,196 times
Reputation: 9423
i cant help you with texas...

but here in ct hostas die back to the ground every year, each spring they come back often as much as double last years size. i dig up in the late spring and dived or divide in the fall, but they do reproduce like crazy.

in the south they MAY stay evergreen with a little dieback...or they may die back to the ground... but either way youll get new growth from the tuber each spring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2011, 08:51 PM
 
2,063 posts, read 5,814,785 times
Reputation: 2672
No matter where they grow all Hosta plants need a period of dormancy. This means at some point in winter they will loose their leaves, even in Texas. Not all Hosta plants will grow well in all parts of Texas but there are some varieties that will do a better job of surviving the heat than others. The following is the first link I found with a list of the varieties that do well in heat and both a growing zone map and a heat map to help determine what zone in Texas you are in.

Hosta Growing Zones, Where Can Hostas Grow?


When the leaves turn brown you can clean up the dead ones, they should fall right off, no need to "trim" anything unless you cannot wait for nature to finish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Status: "Not my president..." (set 10 hours ago)
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,443 posts, read 36,424,893 times
Reputation: 8561
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Waiting for an answer as well. I have a shaded area in a bed where I really need something and I like the looks of hostas, but I really need something, at least in part of the area, that is somewhat evergreen. I've never been good at picking out shade plants.
If you have room for a larger plant, I can recommend this Japanese Aralia as being a very hardy shade plant. I have one growing in a corner between two fences under the heavy shade of two live oak trees and it has survived both droughts and several bad freezes this winter with no visible damage. It is about 6' in all dimensions. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1714/
Attached Thumbnails
Hostas in winter southern gardens, what can I expect?-japanese_aralia.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2011, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,098 posts, read 9,319,103 times
Reputation: 7804
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
If you have room for a larger plant, I can recommend this Japanese Aralia as being a very hardy shade plant. I have one growing in a corner between two fences under the heavy shade of two live oak trees and it has survived both droughts and several bad freezes this winter with no visible damage. It is about 6' in all dimensions. PlantFiles: Detailed information on Fatsia, Paperplant, Japanese Aralia Fatsia japonica
We have some and I adore them! Ours are also shaded by a live oak and did just fine through our freezes this year. I do plan on putting one in the shade spot I'm working on now. We took out some old shrubs that came with the house and were probably planted around 1964. So far all I have in that area is some turks cap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 12:45 PM
Status: "Not my president..." (set 10 hours ago)
 
Location: Austin, TX
16,443 posts, read 36,424,893 times
Reputation: 8561
I also just ordered two of these plants. It is on the Central Texas Gardener list of Shade Plants, and I think it is really interesting looking. Very tropical foliage and striking sculptural flower spikes that can get 3'-4' tall. Bear’s breech - Acanthus 'Summer Beauty' Numerous comments on this website say it grows really well in TX and look great in combination with Hostas.

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Bear's Breech Acanthus 'Summer Beauty'

Photo http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...nSC/11dcd1.jpg

Photo http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...ary/5e9d30.jpg

Closeup http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...ers/ff8d98.jpg

Closeup http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...nSC/499868.jpg

The Acanthus is the plant that the decorative classical greek corinthian column capitals is based on. As an architect I just had to have one once I read that.



Last edited by CptnRn; 03-27-2011 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 12:55 PM
 
Location: N of citrus, S of decent corn
30,566 posts, read 38,126,375 times
Reputation: 48996
Here in Savannah, they behave the same as in NE Ohio. They die back to the ground at the first freeze. In the spring, pull or cut off any dead leaves. None of the plant will be visible. In the spring, new growth will start...mine just appeared this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2011, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Dallas, Texas
8,098 posts, read 9,319,103 times
Reputation: 7804
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
I also just ordered two of these plants. It is on the Central Texas Gardener list of Shade Plants, and I think it is really interesting looking. Very tropical foliage and striking sculptural flower spikes that can get 3'-4' tall. Bear’s breech - Acanthus 'Summer Beauty' Numerous comments on this website say it grows really well in TX and look great in combination with Hostas.

PlantFiles: Detailed information on Bear's Breech Acanthus 'Summer Beauty'

Photo http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...nSC/11dcd1.jpg

Photo http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...ary/5e9d30.jpg

Closeup http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...ers/ff8d98.jpg

Closeup http://pics.davesgarden.com/pics/200...nSC/499868.jpg

The Acanthus is the plant that the decorative classical greek corinthian column capitals is based on. As an architect I just had to have one once I read that.

I really like that! Where did you order from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top