U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 04:51 PM

175 posts, read 789,347 times

Advertisements

Any suggestions for how to hide an above-ground concrete sewer structure (I’m not sure what they’re called...hopefully someone knows what I'm referring to). It’s directly behind the condo and somewhat unsightly. I thought maybe I could plant some type of a bush/shrub in front of it, but I don’t know if there are any codes against planting something too close to a “sewer structure”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 07:54 PM

3,583 posts, read 10,239,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penner View Post
Any suggestions for how to hide an above-ground concrete sewer structure (I’m not sure what they’re called...hopefully someone knows what I'm referring to). It’s directly behind the condo and somewhat unsightly. I thought maybe I could plant some type of a bush/shrub in front of it, but I don’t know if there are any codes against planting something too close to a “sewer structure”.
If its what I'm thinking of, its a storm sewer riser. That would mean that its on either city or county property or on a utility easment. You should probably look into getting permission from your local municipality before planting anything around it.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:24 AM

38,673 posts, read 45,016,991 times
Yep, Va-Cat is correct. And there probably is an easement whereby you cannot plant anything within so many feet of it. Same would be for utility boxes, cable boxes etc.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:53 AM

10,139 posts, read 22,404,584 times
If you don't say where you are located, no one will have any idea what plants to recommend, but if you are in Zone 5 or higher, it will be grasses. They can grow next to concrete, can hide anything and will not interfere with access.

Don't bother asking, just plant some plugs around the sewer tower.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,239,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
If you don't say where you are located, no one will have any idea what plants to recommend, but if you are in Zone 5 or higher, it will be grasses. They can grow next to concrete, can hide anything and will not interfere with access.

Don't bother asking, just plant some plugs around the sewer tower.
That's exactly what someone we know did, then they got a notification followed by fines for their plants that was deemed to interfere with access. A painful lesson since it was a lot of work to dig out established ornamental grass on top of the cost of the fine. Some municipalities can be very picky about what they allow on their right of ways.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:48 AM

494 posts, read 1,364,808 times
Like Wilson I just plant and cover them. Never got any letters in FL. Worst I figure is they will dig the bushes out if they need access. Probably depends what you are trying to hide. Could maybe box it with lattice and grow passion vines or honeysuckle. Something easy to rip out on short notice.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:43 AM

18,106 posts, read 16,444,002 times
Depending on how big or how high it is( say more than a foot above ground) you could buy one of those nuclear fallout shelter symbols put it on and you could pass it off as a bunker.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:09 AM

14,311 posts, read 12,565,603 times
I think this is a good topic.

In the OP's case government agencies are involved.

But.......many homeowners have private septic systems in their yards and the exposed parts are pretty ugly.

I had a nice wishing well built to cover mine.....then I planted flowers around it.

The wishing well could be picked up and moved if I had to......but the tank can be pumped without disturbing the wishing well.

The newer septic tanks {the above ground parts} are too big to hide the way I did mine......so I think everyone's ideas would be welcome.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM

175 posts, read 789,347 times
Here's a picture, if it helps to identify what it is...?
Attached Thumbnails
How to hide an above-ground concrete sewer structure?-2.jpg  

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,103,055 times
Plant a screening bush away from the sewer outlet but in line of sight. A photinia or ligustrum would do the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or