Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2013, 01:21 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times

Advertisements

I have 3 knockout roses that are wonderful. Heat, a tad late in watering, rain...nothing deters them from growing and blooming.

They are now in medium size pots. I would like to put them in very large pots. And need to know if you think they will winter over at all.

I have used good plastic pots when they are enormous...even with the soil they are very hard to move and didn't want to have the extra weight of terra cotta. Everything does well in them in growing seasons.

I have never put a rose in a container before.

I find with our wildlife it will be best. I can put the container on my deck. When we first got the roses we put one in the driveway to see if it would be eaten. It was ...quite a bit. And still came back beautifully.

They have done well in medium containers on the deck. Just don't know how they will do in larger containers over winter.

We're in Zone 7.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 02:57 PM

9,722 posts, read 14,260,591 times
We're in Zone 7, also, cully.

I have a couple very large pots of Knockout Roses on my back deck that have done well for 3 years. I transplanted them from small to large after the first year. They've done fine. Only problem I have is squirrels want to bury their walnuts in my pots (lots of walnut and hickory trees here).

Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
My roses aren't in containers, but they thive in zone 5. I would think they would be OK in large containers in zone 7.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:40 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,619,399 times
One more question. They are on the deck, too. On the north side of the house. Since I put the pots at the outer edge they get lots of sun throughout the day and great sun into the evening as the sun sets....much of spring, summer and early fall.

But as the sun get lower it is not high enough to provide much sun on the back deck....lots in the front (south) but no porch there on which to put the pots.

Will this be okay for the roses during winter?

Old 12-01-2014, 03:52 PM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cully View Post
One more question. They are on the deck, too. On the north side of the house. Since I put the pots at the outer edge they get lots of sun throughout the day and great sun into the evening as the sun sets....much of spring, summer and early fall.

But as the sun get lower it is not high enough to provide much sun on the back deck....lots in the front (south) but no porch there on which to put the pots.

Will this be okay for the roses during winter?
Yes, shade in the winter is actually preferable. It keeps them better hydrated and dormant until spring.

Old 12-01-2014, 06:20 PM

44,625 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Growing & Care for potted knockout roses winter/summer in zone 7...
How to Care for a Knockout Rose in a Container Garden | Home Guides | SF Gate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden