Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 PM

96 posts, read 225,478 times

Advertisements

Hi, wondering if anybody has any experience with a type of evergreen tree called Green Giant (Thula, I think, is another name for them). They're supposed to be almost a miracle tree, growing 3' a year and so far without any pest or disease vulnerabilities.

I need a row of fast-growing evergreen trees or hedges to plant in the ten or twelve foot strip of ground between my house and the next. They'd have to get to be around 20' high. I'm in Zone 6.

Sun exposure on that side of the house is definitely not the best - some morning sun which is partially blocked by the neighboring house. My own house blocks the afternoon sun on that side, so part of the row would get almost no afternoon sun at all.

What I'm wondering especially is, how big do Green Giant evergreens get, both height and width, when planted in rows? Apparently they get huge planted one at a time, up to 60' high and 12' to 20' wide - way too big for the space I have - but I found one description saying they stop at 20' high when planted in rows. It didn't say anything about how wide they get, which is the really crucial information for me.

Any experiences or sources of information on these will be very much appreciated, as will any ideas for trees/hedges besides Green Giants that might work for me here. Thanks in advance! - Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 10:42 PM

9,917 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiniwashere View Post
Hi, wondering if anybody has any experience with a type of evergreen tree called Green Giant (Thula, I think, is another name for them). They're supposed to be almost a miracle tree, growing 3' a year and so far without any pest or disease vulnerabilities.

I need a row of fast-growing evergreen trees or hedges to plant in the ten or twelve foot strip of ground between my house and the next. They'd have to get to be around 20' high. I'm in Zone 6.

Sun exposure on that side of the house is definitely not the best - some morning sun which is partially blocked by the neighboring house. My own house blocks the afternoon sun on that side, so part of the row would get almost no afternoon sun at all.

What I'm wondering especially is, how big do Green Giant evergreens get, both height and width, when planted in rows? Apparently they get huge planted one at a time, up to 60' high and 12' to 20' wide - way too big for the space I have - but I found one description saying they stop at 20' high when planted in rows. It didn't say anything about how wide they get, which is the really crucial information for me.

Any experiences or sources of information on these will be very much appreciated, as will any ideas for trees/hedges besides Green Giants that might work for me here. Thanks in advance! - Carol

Here you go - a link to a nursery with information on the growing habits, prices, etc. Thuja Green Giant Evergreen Trees - Buy Thuja Plicata Arborvitae Trees Online - Thuja Occidentalis (http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm - broken link)

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:15 AM

Quote:
I found one description saying they stop at 20' high when planted in rows. It didn't say anything about how wide they get, which is the really crucial information for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Here you go - a link to a nursery with information on the growing habits, prices, etc. Thuja Green Giant Evergreen Trees - Buy Thuja Plicata Arborvitae Trees Online - Thuja Occidentalis (http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/ThujaGiant.htm - broken link)
Gee, talk about great minds going in the same direction - that's the site where I found the info I mentioned in my OP!! What are the chances???

Thanks Elke for the reply - still not sure though how big around these trees get - if that site is correct that they stop at 20' high I'd be fine vertically, but horizontally, I don't know - I have this vision of the entire space between me and the house next door stuffed full of exuberantly widening Green Giants.....

One of my neighbors has advised me to just go for it, since I'm willing to start with little seedlings and I have a cheap source for them - Buy Trees and Learn About Trees - Visit our Online Nursery

It's a great site, not sure but I think it may be a nonprofit organization - the Green Giant seedlings are pretty popular apparently so they cost a little under $8.00 per, if I remember correctly; but you get ten free trees (not Green Giants; they have various assortments) with membership (which is, I forget, ten or fifteen dollars?), and some of their trees are under $2.00 apiece - in case anybody's reading this and looking for a cheap tree/hedge source.

So maybe I should just plant a few and see what happens, and if they get out of hand just chop them down for firewood. Still would be glad to know if anyone has tried them in rows, and how wide they got. Thanks again Elke for the quick reply -
Carol

Old 04-26-2011, 07:13 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,729,533 times
No need to guess and experiment! The following was in the description box on that page Elke linked to:

Mature Height: 20 ft. in rows, 40 ft+ alone
Mature Width: 10-15 ft. alone, 5-10 ft. in rows
Growth/Year: 3 ft.
Sunlight: Full - Partial
Soil Conditions: Adaptable
Drought Tolerance: Good
Time to Plant: All Year Long
Does not ship to: AZ

It sounds like the perfect tree(s) for your needs.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:42 PM

Thanks 100,000,000, J&Em - I can't believe I missed that - TWICE! They do indeed sound like just what I'm looking for. Thanks again to Elke as well.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:44 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,877,546 times
Wishin,
Why do you think they call them Green Giants?
THey will get giant.
You don't have enough sun for them anyway.
They need at least 6 hours of sun to survive.
See if you can find something evergreen, needing very little sun and wont grow
over 20 ft for your needs.
They won't grow if you plant them, if they don't get enough sunlight to grow.
Call a local nursery (not HD or Lowes) and speak to someone local for a suggestion.
Good Luck!

Old 06-18-2020, 11:59 AM

32 posts, read 76,143 times
@wishiniwashere what did you decide to do here? Did you plant the Green Giant? if so how are they working out for you?

Old 06-18-2020, 01:28 PM

14,633 posts, read 14,720,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuleeM13 View Post
@wishiniwashere what did you decide to do here? Did you plant the Green Giant? if so how are they working out for you?
The OP has not returned and been active on this Garden forum in over 4 years so likely won't see your question. You might have better luck if you send the OP a direct message instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden