U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 06:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,794 times

Advertisements

What is the best mulch to use around plants in a vegetable garden?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 08:12 PM

133 posts, read 535,856 times
I don't know! I'd love to see other answers.

I'm using compost as mulch this year.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM

701 posts, read 1,481,045 times
I like to use compost covered in straw. The straw makes a clean bed for squash, tomatoes, etc.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:27 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,428,721 times
I'm a beginner vegetable gardener, but I have a book. I've actually had the book for years, but it's my first year planting a vegetable garden, so I finally decided to read it. If I remember, I'll post the name/author when I get home. It's about growing fruits and vegetables, and there's a section for each fruit/veggie. There's also a general section about soil preparation, pests etc.

Anyway, the book says that "grass clippings" make good mulch because the clippings break down in a way that does not leach nitrogen from the soil. I guess it's good as long as you mow often enough to ensure there aren't dandelion seeds in the clippings.

Hope that helps.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:48 AM

2,627 posts, read 5,850,705 times
There's really no "best" mulch. It depends on what you use the mulch for--is it primarily to keep weeds down? If so, landscape fabric is most effective. It's also very effective for warming the soil. But it doesn't add any nutritional value or soil structure, so if that's what you want then an organic mulch is better.

Pretty much any organic plant matter will be effective, but obviously some materials break down faster than others. Grass clippings are great, but not if the lawn has been treated with chemicals. Hay/straw works fine too, but they can have seeds. Leaf mulch is also great--breaks down quickly, and provides lots of nutrients.

I've read studies about leaching nitrogen, and it seems this is way overblown. First, the mulch generally sits on top of the soil, so it's not even an issue until it gets tilled into the soil. Second, the leaching effect is slight, and is more than outweighed by the benefits of mulching and adding organic matter to the soil. Besides, even if you do experience low nitrogen levels, it's easily corrected with a shot of fertilizer. So I wouldn't worry so much about what type of mulch you use--just go with what you like.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:42 AM

494 posts, read 1,367,504 times
Depends where you live, what's available and what's cheap.

For me I use pine straw to in a feeble attempt to fight alkalinity.

I also use vinyl lattice as it keep a 90 pound black lab loveable pest out of veggie beds. Does that qualify as a mulch?

Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,428,721 times
BTW the book I have is the Barnes and Noble Fruits and Vegetables guide from 2003. It seems pretty good, but there's a section where they discuss the pawpaw, and have a photo of...a papaya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden