Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 07:37 AM

560 posts, read 1,291,610 times

Advertisements

Beautiful color combination!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:35 PM

288 posts, read 692,800 times
Default Nice pictures!

Thanks for sharing your photos!

I think it looks very pretty with all the colour and as another poster says, does have a bit of an English garden feel to it. I think it is the fact that it is nice and natural looking and a bit wild rather than Over the top manicured

I have recently bought a Lime tree and a pink Lemon tree (with pretty variegated leaves) I can't believe how much the Lemon tree in particular is growing!

Also, check out your local Walmart gardening section for reduced prrenials. I just picked up some real bargains lately of Bourgainvillea (again with pretty variegated leaves) and a few Hibiscus; all marked half price just because they had stopped flowering! They are all doing great

Old 05-01-2011, 04:32 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,756,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
If someone shares a picture of their yard I think it is pretty rude to critique it unless they requested that.
Oh i'm sorry, I must have missed the sign at the door that said we have to leave warm fuzzies for everyone.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:46 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Oh i'm sorry, I must have missed the sign at the door that said we have to leave warm fuzzies for everyone.
Basic politeness normally doesn't need a sign.

Love the yard! Did you do it in conjunction with a "Natural Florida" promotion or just for the look and the water savings?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:38 AM

494 posts, read 1,676,256 times
Thanks for the comments everyone.

Over the weekend we planted a daylily garden in the back. I'm sore!

Can't really do hibiscus or BVilla. The BE Susans might work if the moss rose and iceplants fail.

One of the oddities is the soil ph is crazy alkaline due to the dredging of the limestone. Many, many plants simply turn yellow and can't uptake iron well. We've learned to stop fighting it.

We've had hibiscus and they froze to the ground the past 3 winters. Ones out front died. Gave up on those.

Regarding water usage it's somewhat hard to tell due to everything going on, but I will say there are no spray emitters left anywhere in our yard. Mostly 6 and 12 inch spaced 1.4 inch dripline, some 1/4 soaker and 1/2 poly with drip emitters and some 1/2 poly 12 inch dripline.

The front is loaded with butterflys, bees, wasps and birds.

Regarding wasp spray and lubbers - I smush em, but I have used raid on oleander catepillars. For me, if I sprayed while the sun was down I didn't get leaf damage. If it was bright out it trashed the leaves it hit. I've also given up on oleanders and mandevilles. I love the moths but hate the catepillars. Plus, we're not huge fans of toxic things in the yard since we have a mutt who keeps throwing up from palm nutz and anything else he can wolf down.

We've not followed any promotion, but it is designed to be compliiant with Florida Friendly guidelines:

Florida Friendly Landscaping, Florida Plants, Florida Gardening, Lawn Care

Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 AM

749 posts, read 2,438,569 times
Looks nice. One thing I'm trying in my FL yard is to buy zone 8 plants even though I'm in 9A, becuase it does get cold in Citrus County. I've got Yuccas, Sagos, various cactus species, myer lemon, navel orange, Azaelas. some B'villas (I want more of those) and my favorite Italian Cypress.

My grass looks pretty good, so many of my neighbors cut thier grass as low as they can.....I don't, I leave my mower setting as high as it will go.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:12 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
My front yard is even more wild looking than that. I am doing wild flower seeds that, if I can keep my hands off a cultivator, will come back every year. I like the "cottage" look but not everyone does. I also plant vegetables in pots and scatter around. I have camillias in the back yard under a huge oak, citrus trees on a side yard, fig, blackberry and grape on the other side. I'm happy, though my neighbors may not be....LOL. I have mulch walkways in my front yard garden. Oh yes, I have a large pomegranite (?) in a huge pots that has lovely orange flowers and then the pomegranites....right in the front yard. No grass except a bit in the back yard in between flower beds. It is more liveable than it was for many years, not so rigid. For years, my front yard was a show place of grass, cut and edged to precision. No More.

My yard is a haven for wasps, bees, butterflies, snakes, frogs and some things I don't really like but we both endure......oh yes, the lubbers were horrid last year.

I love your yard. Good for you.

Old 05-04-2011, 06:09 AM

Thanks AnnieA - sounds like we're following your plan except we are a bit too alky for camillas which we love. Looking into berries now. Want grapes but don't care for the Florida varieties. Thinking we might go with an avacado. They can tolerate our soil.

My wife and I compete to see who can stomp the most lubbers each day. Amazing how they can move aroudn the yard seeking what they really love considering they move only slightly faster than the shuttle on it's giant wagon.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:47 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Quote:
My wife and I compete to see who can stomp the most lubbers each day. Amazing how they can move aroudn the yard seeking what they really love considering they move only slightly faster than the shuttle on it's giant wagon.
LOL!

Since we are talking about pH, here is a link to the relevant University of Florida extension service info sheet on soil pH for the home landscape.

SL 256/SS480: Soil pH and the Home Landscape or Garden

Also see the Plant Selection Guide publication in pfd format.

http://fyn.ifas.ufl.edu/pdf/FYN_Plan...de_v090110.pdf

If you skip to page 31 there is a table of symbols there, note the symbols for various pH ranges. A nice plant list with color photos and info blurb on each species follows, designated for north, central, or south Florida as appropriate. Towards the front of the booklet there are some pages with basic landscaping solutions for different situations, for people who want to create that landscape architect look with defined beds of tiered plants and focal trees, etc. But the plant selection guide is useful for any Floridian gardener. It does not claim to be complete, but it has a good selection. Enjoy!

Old 05-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Thanks tilli - that second link is one of the better charts I've seen for ph values.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden