Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 04:00 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times

Advertisements

Hope someone can help me. I moved into a new house last fall and planted a lawn, which did spectacularly over our rainy winter. There is one area where I had originally planned at some point to remove some of the grass and put in a small flower/shrub garden with a bird bath, bench, etc. at some time in the future, after doing other parts of the yard that are more visible. Well, the grass in that area is very patchy, and so I've decided rather than rough up the soil and overseed, that maybe I should just tackle the area now and remove the grass, instead of putting it off.

What would be the easiest way for me to rip out about 20 square yards of lawn? It was from seed, not sod, so there's no netting under it. Is there any kind of tool that would "slice" it out? I don't want to buy anything super-expensive as I won't be using it again. Any ideas?

Last edited by ukiyo-e; 04-29-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 09:04 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,171,047 times
Aha. I read there are gas-powered and kick-powered sod cutters. Will check to see if I can rent the gas-powered kind around here.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:45 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,080 times
I was in a similar situation. I used a spade to turn it over and remove grass then a small 2hp tiller to till in some fresh topsoil. Worked out well so far.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:57 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,372,560 times
Spray the area with Roundup. Whatever it touches will die within 24 hours or so and not come back for a year. It will kill your grass to the roots so just rake away the brown grass on top or use it for mulch.

Old 04-30-2011, 01:43 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,910,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
Spray the area with Roundup. Whatever it touches will die within 24 hours or so and not come back for a year. It will kill your grass to the roots so just rake away the brown grass on top or use it for mulch.
But will this then render this patch of soil non usable for future plantings?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:26 AM

560 posts, read 1,291,385 times
If there is no hurry, then I would put down some black plastic held down with stakes and then covered with mulch. Should be totally clear after a few months.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:11 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,708 times
I ended up scalping mine with a brush cutter attachment on the weed eater. It is a triple spoke steel blade and it cleared out my bed areas in just a few minutes. I planted what I planted, laid down some weed mat, and covered with several inches of mulch. My grass type is fescue, so not very regenerative like bermuda/zoysia etc. This allowed me to keep the good top soil relatively undisturbed. I was going to rent a sod cutter until I tried that on a whim.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:36 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,372,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
But will this then render this patch of soil non usable for future plantings?
From the booklet on the bottle:

All ornamental flowers, trees and shrubs may be planted 1 day after application.

Lawn grasses, herbs, vegetables (all) and fruits may be planted 3 days after application.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:07 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Round up and a grub hoe. Now get to work!!

Spray it and let it die. Then water it a couple of days. let it set for a week and see if anything comes up green. Then spray any green shoots again.
I have used this method on tens of thousands of square feet over the last ten year with very little grow back. Obviously I use heavy equipment to remove that much. For 20sq feet a grub hoe and about one hour should do the trick.

Here is a little tip. Use a straight shovel to cut a 6-10inch line around the area to be cut. Cut into sections or squares. then with the flat end of the grub hoe start on one edge and under cut the grass a few inches. Peeling back the grass like an orange peel. Cut, peel, cut, peel, cut, peel.......

Old 05-01-2011, 05:51 AM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momotaro View Post
I was in a similar situation. I used a spade to turn it over and remove grass then a small 2hp tiller to till in some fresh topsoil. Worked out well so far.
That is what we just did at our new hom last summer. So far, it's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden