Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 07:30 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times

Advertisements

I work from home and my office overlooks the street. Every single house has a gardener and they all come at different times. Plus there's the UPS truck that scares the cat. The FedEx guy who rumbles by so much I'm beginning to wonder just what "business" the guy down the street is in. The school bus for the special needs boy twice a day. And nobody can coordinate when they get their hay deliveries. And none of these are as big a distraction as when the 300 pound guy next door wanders out to pick up his mail. Without his shirt.

When I can't concentrate I come here and see what's up.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:01 PM

1,412 posts, read 4,484,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I work from home and my office overlooks the street. Every single house has a gardener and they all come at different times. Plus there's the UPS truck that scares the cat. The FedEx guy who rumbles by so much I'm beginning to wonder just what "business" the guy down the street is in. The school bus for the special needs boy twice a day. And nobody can coordinate when they get their hay deliveries. And none of these are as big a distraction as when the 300 pound guy next door wanders out to pick up his mail. Without his shirt.

When I can't concentrate I come here and see what's up.
Minus the hay that is how my neighborhood is. I would not trade it for anything.

Old 05-05-2011, 08:49 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,665,174 times
Is it my imagination or has the OP NOT come back to A)read any of the posts here, or B)write an additional post. Or did I miss his reply?

I agree with all of you who said that any apartment complex who takes pride in their landscaping should be told, "Great job!" And for landscapers being fat and lazy, oh my, not from what I have seen. (drool) I don't think so......OK, Garden, get back on subject, would ya? (do I have to?)

Face it. Summer time "annoying sounds" do happen as in grass cutters, weed whackers, leave blowers, etc. Turn the music up, close the window and or door, and get some heavy drapes. Problem solved. Background noise to cover outside noise. A win-win scenario!

Old 05-06-2011, 07:33 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,575,037 times
People will always find something to bi*** about....

Old 05-08-2011, 06:45 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Ha, ha you guys are funny. My only concern is being on the phone with customers as a guy with a weedwacker is making a huge ruckus outside of my window (it sounds very unprofessional). I can control when I make phone calls to a certain degree but I can't control when the phone rings. If it was a one hour window that's one thing but 4 hours twice a week is difficult (no it's not continuous noise for 4 hours.) The apartment came with blinds mounted so it would be hard to mount curtains. I'm planning to move in December but not because of the noise. BTW, it's a 600 square foot 1 bedroom apartment so there really isn't anywhere to hide from the noise (the single pane windows don't help.) It costs $1310 a month so I don't feel particularly fortunate for the fact that they mow the lawn on a regular basis.

I don't complain about the guys with leaf blowers blowing dirt/dust and leaves all over my car (looks like a birds nest under the hood). I consider that fair game for leaving my car in the parking lot during the week. The garbage truck 2-3X a week is no fun either with all the car alarms going off but it's relatively short and painless.

Last edited by Dunbar42; 05-08-2011 at 07:05 PM..

Old 05-08-2011, 07:09 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,013,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Do you have the proper licenses and permits to operate a business from your apartment? Does your apartment lease even allow a home business? Most don't.
You get the most unhelpful post award Who said anything about operating a business? You don't need a permit to work from a home office...

Old 05-08-2011, 10:48 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Let's see now. The clearing out of my woods wherein we placed the house is 2.5 acres, this also includes an 80ft by 50ft veggie garden up against the woods on the northern edge of the yard. No yard service. I trim trees, weed and till the veggie garden and mow the yard, and daily attention to the rose bushes around the large rock in the front yard. I also have to prune the fruit trees, Apple, Plum, and Fig, somehow I have little sympathy if your yard guy makes a little noise. Most people can learn how to tune out familiar noises.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:55 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,345,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
When I was a kid they had these things called rakes and push mowers. Gardeners were not as fat and lazy back then, either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
What a bunch of BS. You obviously have no clue as to what your posting about.
Yes you are right. I just made uo the word 'Rake'. No such thing exists. And my next door neighbor who had a gardening service? Just a scarecrow I made out of an old shirt stuffed with leaves.

Thanks for calling me out. I am so ashamed.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
I rent an apartment in California and work from a home office. I'm starting to get more an more annoyed by the gardeners. To start, they come twice a week (Tuesday and Friday) when one day seems like it would be more than sufficient (and cheaper). Starting at 9am these days the lawn mower guy comes by. Then 45-60 minutes later the weed wacker guy, the edge trimmer, and finally the guy with the leaf blower. So basically twice a week there's a 4 hour window where I have to worry about these guys making a lot of noise outside my window while I'm on the phone. I can handle a 30-45 minute window once a week but 8 hours seems excessive. I'm thinking about writing a complaint letter to the property manager, am I being unreasonable?
Think you might be a little unreasonable. They have to start, work and finish somewhere. More than that, I am not quite sure if this is the right place for you to post and get an answer. Why don't you try the Ca thread/forum. You can see how people feel.

Nita

Old 05-09-2011, 01:08 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
You get the most unhelpful post award Who said anything about operating a business? You don't need a permit to work from a home office...
that depends on the city and the work. You are only partially right.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden