U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 02:41 PM

1,623 posts, read 3,108,254 times

Advertisements

I rent an apartment in California and work from a home office. I'm starting to get more an more annoyed by the gardeners. To start, they come twice a week (Tuesday and Friday) when one day seems like it would be more than sufficient (and cheaper). Starting at 9am these days the lawn mower guy comes by. Then 45-60 minutes later the weed wacker guy, the edge trimmer, and finally the guy with the leaf blower. So basically twice a week there's a 4 hour window where I have to worry about these guys making a lot of noise outside my window while I'm on the phone. I can handle a 30-45 minute window once a week but 8 hours seems excessive. I'm thinking about writing a complaint letter to the property manager, am I being unreasonable?

Old 05-03-2011, 03:27 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,377,862 times
LOL NO. The lawn maintenance staff is part of the reason I bought a house. Not only was the mowing annoying, but I also felt really scared because I had a basement apartment and my bedroom was right by the window. I love sunlight, but I had to be really careful to keep the curtains drawn.

I think I'm goodlooking LOL, and I didn't want to risk one of the gardeners (I am so sure they did a background check on those guys yeah right) taking a liking to me and breaking in through the flimsy apartment-grade window locks and taking my life--or more important--what's left of my womanly virtue.

Personally, I don't think complaining will help. The apartment complex needs to keep the place looking like a golf course to attract new tenants. You can move...or you can do what I did when I worked at night... wear earplugs.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:32 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,722,936 times
Sorry but you are being unreasonable. The gardeners seem to be there when most people are at work/school. The owners have a right to keep the property kept. I wish when I was renting my owners cared that much.

I guess the only thing I could suggest it buy a home or get a new apartment in a skyrise where there is no mowing needed on the 10th floor.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:24 PM

476 posts, read 1,037,262 times
I think you're right to be annoyed. I would be annoyed too. They should try to keep the noise at a minimum. I'd complain or nothing would ever be done.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:35 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,565,558 times
If it is at your house, that is one thing but an Apartment Community usually has a lot more space so I think that you are being a bit unreasonable. Chances are that there are others that work from home in your community. They have their job to do and if they made accommodations for you based on not violating any noise ordinances (there aren't any that I know of during the day) that would be a bit extreme. Is there any way that you could go somewhere else - maybe the Apartment clubhouse for your conference calls during those mornings? Otherwise, I listened to my iPod when I had to deal with that and never missed any calls. Landscaper noise isn't the worst thing anyone has heard on a conference call.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:14 PM

560 posts, read 1,065,240 times
Are you allowed to hang curtains? If so, there are some that will help with noise reduction.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 PM

6,591 posts, read 19,710,622 times
i agree with abobve a good thick set of noise baffeling curtains would probbaly help you alot.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:36 PM

48,521 posts, read 80,854,773 times
your problem is your near where they work durig the day. its really a problem of being home but they are there druig reasonbale hours so you might take some of the suggestions. Part of rentig really and they breakig no laws working .

Old 05-04-2011, 01:16 PM

25,631 posts, read 29,041,151 times
Way too unreasonable. you have no idea what hard laborious work it is to keep a landscape maintained in peak condition. Twice a week? sounds like the apartment management and owners are going to great lengths to provide a beautiful well kept complex. Buy a house and do it yourself if it bothers you that much.

Could be I'm bias because I'm a Landscaper.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:41 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,722,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Way too unreasonable. you have no idea what hard laborious work it is to keep a landscape maintained in peak condition. Twice a week? sounds like the apartment management and owners are going to great lengths to provide a beautiful well kept complex. Buy a house and do it yourself if it bothers you that much.

Could be I'm bias because I'm a Landscaper.
At least you know first hand what it takes. I put a lot of work into my yard as well, I wish I had time to do it two times a week. Sadly right now I have to wait until it stops raining which means I can go over a week w/o working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden