U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-06-2011, 08:36 AM

749 posts, read 1,166,720 times
Default How long to move 10 yards of dirt

by wheelbarrow? 1 person and 10 cubic yards, the dirt pile is about 50 feet away from it fill in area, I'm thinking about 6- 8 hours......sound about right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 08:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,209,440 times
Depends on how much the wheel barrow can hold, how long it'd take to shovel into the wheel barrow, how long it would take to walk it the 50', and how sustainable your muscles are.

10 cu.yd. = 270 cu.ft.

Say the wheel barrow can hold 6 cu.ft., but it won't be a full load every time, so say 4.5 cu.ft. per trip.
- 270 / 4.5 = 60 trips.

5 minutes a trip for load, walk, and unload times ...
- 60 * 5 = 300 minutes.
- 300 minutes / 60 minutes in an hour = 5 hours.

That's all in theory ... reality is that early loads would be easier than later ones. Any which way, 6-8 hours is workable if you can sustain that kind of pace ...

Old 05-06-2011, 09:01 AM

17,194 posts, read 21,839,868 times
with TWO people and TWO wheelbarrows...
it will take something less than half of the time that just one person would need
(even if they are really disciplined)

Plus the beer will taste better with someone to share it with.

Old 05-06-2011, 09:05 AM

8,310 posts, read 21,032,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
by wheelbarrow? 1 person and 10 cubic yards, the dirt pile is about 50 feet away from it fill in area, I'm thinking about 6- 8 hours......sound about right?
I moved about six yards of dirt recently in about six hours, but I had a 2.5 year old helping me (which is actually to say "I had a little boy slowing me down").

I've kept myself in shape and stayed strong, but I'm not a 22 year old with resilient tendons anymore. That job munged up my shoulder for quite a while.

You can probably knock it out in a day if you are generally fit, strong and committed to finishing in one day, but it will be the only thing you do that day (regardless of how quickly you finish).

Be careful, don't overheat in the Florida sun, drink plenty of water, stop work if you are having joint pain.

Also: It will take more time if you're moving the dirt into a raised bed.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:18 AM

4,027 posts, read 12,945,798 times
I moved five yards recently but it was a long fifty yards down a couple sets of stairs to the destination. Took me two days but I will only do five hours a day.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM

1,045 posts, read 836,165 times
Last time I had that much dirt to move it took the better part of a week...but then I am a dilatant.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:39 AM

20,128 posts, read 12,555,534 times
Here is what I tell my employee's.

As long as it takes to move it safely. there are too many unknowns to give you an accurate estimates of time. The is biggest unknown is your physical health and the tools with which are at your disposal. Is the dirt super dry, Is it some what moist? the water content of 10 cubic yards of dirt can vary the weight by a few thousand pounds. Also the amount of organic matter in the dirt.

I usually have my employees work in teams two moving that much dirt.

A two man crew can move it in about two-three hours trading off filling, wheeling and dumping.

Get an all metal wheel barrow if you can with a low center of gravity which will allow you to move more at dirt each time.

Have fun.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:08 PM

495 posts, read 770,018 times
2 yards in a day and I hurt! Takes a lot of hops into the pool.

Old 05-07-2011, 11:51 AM

2,457 posts, read 2,851,910 times
Moving dirt by wheelbarrow is a lot of hard work. If you are body builder type and in your early 20's, go for it! If not, be careful of your back, and pace yourself in the hot sun. I personally don't like to put a time limit on work as hard as moving dirt, but rather, I prefer to listen to my body as to how I am feeling, how strong I feel that day, and if I am in the mood to really push myself. There are a lot of different factors to take into consideration, and I don't think it would be wise for anyone to say you can move that dirt in 6-8 hours without knowing your physical condition first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden