U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 11:10 AM

1,127 posts, read 4,448,081 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased the lot next door from us and are in desperate need of a fence. Apparently people with four wheelers don't care that they are tearing up our yard to get to the woods behind our house. After finding two teens parked in the yard at 1AM I am tempted to dump out a box of nails.

Anyways we didn't want to just throw up a fence and came up with the idea of doing a sort of hedgerow as a fence. Dear husband purchased four red tip photinia and thought they were the most wonderful things ever, (thank you garden center). I severely dislike the things and before he has another day off to get more of those ugly things in the ground, I want to convince him that we should at least alternate them with another shrub thing to make the wall of ugly more interesting.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on what to pair with red tips to make them more appealing? We live in zone 9 and whatever it is it has to like a lot of sun. Thanks .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 AM

25,631 posts, read 29,130,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drouzin View Post
We recently purchased the lot next door from us and are in desperate need of a fence. Apparently people with four wheelers don't care that they are tearing up our yard to get to the woods behind our house. After finding two teens parked in the yard at 1AM I am tempted to dump out a box of nails.

Anyways we didn't want to just throw up a fence and came up with the idea of doing a sort of hedgerow as a fence. Dear husband purchased four red tip photinia and thought they were the most wonderful things ever, (thank you garden center). I severely dislike the things and before he has another day off to get more of those ugly things in the ground, I want to convince him that we should at least alternate them with another shrub thing to make the wall of ugly more interesting.

So, does anyone have a recommendation on what to pair with red tips to make them more appealing? We live in zone 9 and whatever it is it has to like a lot of sun. Thanks .
Some bushes are not going to stop them if they don't already respect your property right. You'll just lose money on torn up bushes. Put in a chain link fence Then you can plant what ever your heart desires. Sorry but that is the only way to keep them out.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:03 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,900,925 times
Red tips seem to be a disease problem in some areas. See if you can talk your husband out of them for that reason.

There are a lot of evergreen shrubs that should do well in zone 9. Have you thought about Oleanders, Ligustrum, Pyrocantha?

Decide first if you want something that you have to keep trimmed or something that you can plant and forget. Photinias can sometimes get leggy if not kept trimmed

I vote for the chain link fence too. Plant shrubs in front of it so that you won't have to look at it.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:24 PM

1,127 posts, read 4,448,081 times
Thanks for the replies y'all. I mentioned the fence issue with hubby and he said we would slip in some kind of wire fence thing if it would make me happy. We spoke with the neighbor, we took the fence down between our yards and so we both have the same problem with people going though our yards, and we've come up with a quick temporary fence idea until we can put up the wooden fence, which will take a while because it's a diy thing.

Unfortunately DH already planted four red tips. He is quite pleased, and I hate to burst his bubble. Oleander is out because we have cats and I understand it's poisonous. I will see if he will go for the Ligustrum or Pyrocantha to put between the red tips.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM

3,583 posts, read 10,249,883 times
How about some nice Knockout roses? Nothing says "stay away" like a leg full of thorns!

Old 05-12-2011, 11:02 AM

5,293 posts, read 20,713,721 times
RT Photinia get really big and can take a lot of pruning in a limited area. I like them better when used as small trees.

Given a little time they will get big and sturdy enough to block access.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:54 AM

494 posts, read 1,365,901 times
I'd keep the red tips trimmed to 4 feet or so. They can get damaged back to the ground in winter. Behind them I'd consider something like Bougainvillea. Georgeous, low maintenance and a good barrier. If you want a real people/truck stopper plant natal plums. You and wildlife can eat the fruit. NOBODY will cut thru that unless they have a Sherman tank or want to lose flesh or paint. They are a task to prune, as are the BVillas due to thorns so push it all as far into the lot as you can. Water it a while and then both are very low maintenance. Both are also pretty east to prune if you do it when the shoots are green. Once they harden it takes lots more caution and generally a little blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden