U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:58 PM

22,583 posts, read 11,835,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Hi, this is probably a dumb question but I don't know what zone I'm in.. I live in NY. Can someone here tell me what gardening zone that is?

thanks, Laurie
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
You're in zone 5, probably.
If you live in New York City, especially Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island and the south shore of Long Island, you are in zone 6.

I live in Philadelphia and I am in zone 7, but the northern edges of the city being higher in elevation such as King Of Prussia and Valley Forge are in zone 6.

For me living in zone 7 means we can grow outdoors such things as camellias, gardenias, bamboo, certain types of hibiscus and even a few types of palm trees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 08:14 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,269,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
Hi, this is probably a dumb question but I don't know what zone I'm in.. I live in NY. Can someone here tell me what gardening zone that is?

thanks, Laurie
Laurie not a dumb question since a lot of people don't know their zone. On top of that the zones are being revised and some people have the old maps up and some have the updated ones. NY is a big state and covers a lot of zones but on the most common maps you are somewhere between 3 and 7! (3 near Watertown where there is usually the most snow, 4 near Lake Placid, 5 around Albany, 6a and b north of NYC, 6b on mid Long Island and and 7a out at the tip of Long Island). To find your zone you can use the following and enter your zip code to get your zone: National Gardening Association

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
Well it's that time of year again for us in the North East to start making those trips to the nurseries for our summer annuals. I usally learn from my mistakes each year and this year I want to experiment with some different annuals. I usally get petunias, begonias, impatients, geranniums and marigolds.

I want to make up some nice combination pots, where you have a tall center with nice fillers and spilling over, viney type plants.

What do you normally plant that you have good luck with and can share some tips?
I still experiment every year with new combinations in the various pots I have on the deck. Each one has a slightly different mix of plants but they all look related to each other. This year some pots have ivy geraniums, others regular geraniums, some have annual salvia, most have dwarf snapdragons, New Guinea Impatiens, torenia, bocopa, the biggest also has a Marguerite Daisy and climbing out on a small trellis Cardinal climbing vines for my Hummingbirds. I also have one pot where I am testing out how well a set of pink and white SunPatiens can handle hot afternoon sun along with some, dark purple salvia and white bocopa. So far they have amazed me... impatiens that can handle sun all day!

All of the pots were looking pretty ratty after the hail storms at the end of April chewed up every leaf but the plants are slowly filling in. The last hail storm last week didn't do half as much damage so I'm hoping we are done. The garden is still healing! Now if I could eradicate the little nerly invisible caterpillars I discovered after looking closely at a few photos I took today! Time to put on my reading glasses when I go out and water and smoosh a few pests.

Old 06-02-2011, 08:26 AM

4,059 posts, read 4,985,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dens View Post
I have no luck with marigolds so let me know if u make them work
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I have also had no luck with marigolds. I just don't bother with them anymore as there are so many other choices. I think they get eaten by slugs.
I learned the trick is when you water them. The flower itself acts like a cup and holds all the water you sprinkle on them. If you water them along their stems where they meet the soil then you may have better luck.

Marigolds are great, very colorful and hardy!

Old 06-05-2011, 02:00 PM

169 posts, read 337,784 times
Yes,I think the prob with Marigolds is they have to have frequent watering,never getting dried out.If it rains hard here,my marigolds flourish!

If dried out,goodbye.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or