U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,583,466 times

Advertisements

Can someone help me identify the species? this is obviously a baby snake.....but we found it in our basement......
our basement was fully finished 2 years ago....looks brand new. no obvious openings......we do have a sump-pump in the kitchen though......
we have found very small mice but the traps have turned up nothing. There are spiders/etc. as you'd find in any basement...so i'm sure that's the snake's source of food.

Please help me identify the species of the snake and weather i need to worry!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 01:07 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,573,931 times
LOL don't come to my house. Actually since I got the exterminator to block up their little entrances and keep the mice out, the snakes seem to have moved outside. I think I have black snakes, and they're mottled like that as youngsters...but I'm no snake expert.

Why not call the local animal control and have them ID it for sure?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:20 PM

29,990 posts, read 20,952,792 times
Southern black racer as a juvenile?

see photograph at figure 16. at this link: WEC214/UW251: "Black Snakes": Identification and Ecology

Make certain you place a good lid on that sump pump so that there is nowhere for a snake to come up through. A snake as little as the one in your photo is probably eating insects.

Old 05-19-2011, 01:24 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,589,161 times
What's so bad about a snake being in your house?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:40 PM

4,144 posts, read 3,753,797 times
It looks like a ribbon snake to me. We are in SE KS and we have seen a few. We get the ribbon and the garter snake in the basement sometimes or I see them in the yard. I had never seen them before coming here but if you have a water source nearby, they seem to really like that sort of atmosphere. I would at photos of those two type of snakes close up and see if you have a match. Both are harmless except for the shock of coming across one.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:22 PM

8,310 posts, read 21,754,443 times
Are you in Florida? Southeast? Gulf Coast?

I think that's a Florida Brown Snake. Little (a big one would be 12"), non-venomous snakes that eat invertebrates.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM

7,089 posts, read 8,492,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It looks like a ribbon snake to me. We are in SE KS and we have seen a few. We get the ribbon and the garter snake in the basement sometimes or I see them in the yard. I had never seen them before coming here but if you have a water source nearby, they seem to really like that sort of atmosphere. I would at photos of those two type of snakes close up and see if you have a match. Both are harmless except for the shock of coming across one.
agreed, it is not poisonous, all poisonous snakes (excepting the coral snake) in the U.S. are pit vipers, a distinct triangular head, looks like an arrowhead, if the jaws are the same width as the body it is not poisonous, the exception, coral snake, has red, yellow, and black bands. if the bands are red abutting on yellow, it is a coral snake, if red abuts onto black, it is non-poisonous.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,583,466 times
I'm in Northern Virginia (near washington DC)

Old 05-19-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
agreed, it is not poisonous, all poisonous snakes (excepting the coral snake) in the U.S. are pit vipers, a distinct triangular head, looks like an arrowhead, if the jaws are the same width as the body it is not poisonous, the exception, coral snake, has red, yellow, and black bands. if the bands are red abutting on yellow, it is a coral snake, if red abuts onto black, it is non-poisonous.
There was a woman in a Houston ICU last fall who had been envenomated by a coral snake. She was pretty sick and had some complications that were dangerous, but recovered. It was memorable to me because the nurses were giving her a hard time for not knowing the children's rhyme "Red-and-yellow-kill-a-fellow" and she responded "I thought it was red-and-yellow-friendly-fellow!"

Learn yer kids up good, people.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinking-man View Post
I'm in Northern Virginia (near washington DC)
Maybe just a regular brown snake then. Let me know what you think...

Species Profile: Brown Snake (Storeria dekayi) | SREL Herpetology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden