Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,068,491 times

Advertisements

I don't know why, but deadheading makes me nervous. I keep thinking I'm doing it wrong. I bought a large number of coreopsis and I understand they'll keep blooming if I deadhead them. So that means pluck the spent blooms off and leave the stems, right? Or am I supposed to cut the stems?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 06:20 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,888,050 times
I just shear them off (depth of an inch or two off) with a big pair of garden shears. Don't worry, they'll come right back.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:22 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,071 times
Imo there is no right way I suppose. I just take the tip off. They do bloom more but what a job keeping up on it.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:07 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,849,745 times
i usually snip to the first set of leaves on the flower stem, but i have done 'mass behedding' on some by taking garden sheres and lopping the top 1" off the entire plant (this works better on smaller plants) and they keep comming back that way too

Old 05-31-2011, 08:48 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,047,287 times
The one little main stem sticking up looks pretty silly to me so , if I deadhead single stems, I do it down to a set of leaves. Most with as many flowers as I have I usually wait till most of the flowers are spent and I wack with the weed eater. This may cut off some buds but it keeps the plant from getting too leggy and in no time the whole plant will be blooming again. I can usually get 3 or 4 bloomings in my NC garden.

Old 05-31-2011, 08:51 AM

45,319 posts, read 60,489,441 times
Wait until you start deadheading mums.

Old 05-31-2011, 10:07 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,350,712 times
LOL! Wait until you start deadheading chickens.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:04 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,776,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Wait until you start deadheading mums.
Are you talking about pinching them back to make them fuller or deadheading them in the fall? Neither seems like a big deal but I guess if you have enough of them it could be!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I don't know why, but deadheading makes me nervous. I keep thinking I'm doing it wrong. I bought a large number of coreopsis and I understand they'll keep blooming if I deadhead them. So that means pluck the spent blooms off and leave the stems, right? Or am I supposed to cut the stems?
It seems you are not alone, a lot of people have a big fear of dead heading and pruning. Please don't "pluck" as you can end up up-rooting the plant or breaking more delicate stems. The best way is with garden shears (although many a gardener has relied on her fingernails in a pinch LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
The one little main stem sticking up looks pretty silly to me so , if I deadhead single stems, I do it down to a set of leaves. Most with as many flowers as I have I usually wait till most of the flowers are spent and I wack with the weed eater. This may cut off some buds but it keeps the plant from getting too leggy and in no time the whole plant will be blooming again. I can usually get 3 or 4 bloomings in my NC garden.
^^ What she says. Most of the time I use the shears and dead head down to one of three things depending on the plant: the main part of the plant, or the next emerging bud or the next set of leaves on the stem where new growth will start from. Some plants, like certain dianthus, do best if they get a "haircut" and get whacked back at one level across. It's also a PITA to try and trim hundreds of tiny little flowers.

Dead heading does in the long run produce more flowers. The reasoning behind it is that many plants are trying like crazy to do one thing: reproduce. Every time you cut off the flower before it can go to seed the plant feels obligated to make more of what makes it seeds: flowers.

When it comes to where you cut off the flower it is most often a matter of looks. The plant still needs to look appealing even if it has fewer flowers on it. If you snip them so there are stems sticking out all over like a an ugly porcupine it doesn't appeal to many gardeners so the "standard" advice is to cut back to where the stem is no longer visible. If you want to combine pruning with deadheading it may matter more since this will be for shaping as well as more flowers. This is something you might worry about with roses for example.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:14 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,672,347 times
Left turn here: If you grow roses deadhead back to the first branch that shows five leaves.

You may now return to your local programming.

Old 05-31-2011, 12:18 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,490,654 times
I have 6 mums. If I deadhead, I get several sets of flowers per year. In fact, I probably need to do it very soon. LOL.

It's a much bigger pain to deadhead my dianthus plants, of which I have several varieties. They need it even more often or they stop blooming on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden