U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,592,987 times

Advertisements

Someone recommended that I check out this website. Anyone else use it before?

http://johnjpascarella.suite101.com/...-safely-a43454
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Do you guys think that this is safe to do?

Quote:
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/308653_10150339598618321_346272093320_8143754_1177 242280_n.jpg (broken link) Wall Photos | Facebook

Eco-Vision Sustainable Learning Center - Eco-Vision Sustainable Learning Center - Non-Profit Organization - Delavan, WI | Facebook
It's amazing how easy it can be to transform something that would often end up into the garbage, into something both beautiful and useful.
Unlike Share October 22, 2011

Old 01-26-2012, 03:35 PM

866 posts, read 933,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
that idea looks really interesting...could work for herbs maybe...
I/we use the plastic bottles for growing seedlings for transplanting--cut
bottle in half, add potting soil, plant seeds, use the top for a greenhouse
type individual cover. Takes a little snipping to get the tapered end to sit inside the base to act as a cover.
We also use the bottles for watering containers in the center of a planter. again cut the top part of the bottle off, poke holes in the bottle,
set in the center of a large planter, plant flowers etc. around it then fill with water. gets water to the roots as necessary, helps to conserve water when necessary.
the 2 or 3 liter bottles can be used as covers around seedlings in the garden bed, as protection from wind etc. Just cut the bottoms off,
and set over seedlings that are coming up.I(f you leave them on the plants during the daytime you should take the screw cap off to allow
air to get in as condensation may form from the heat. put the cap back on at night to help hold in the heat if temps. are dropping overnight.
could also be used as an insect barrier around the plants as they grow.
For that just cut the top and bottom off then use the remaining cylinder
as a sheild for cutworms etc. that might attack the plants.

Old 06-21-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
that idea looks really interesting...could work for herbs maybe...
I/we use the plastic bottles for growing seedlings for transplanting--cut
bottle in half, add potting soil, plant seeds, use the top for a greenhouse
type individual cover. Takes a little snipping to get the tapered end to sit inside the base to act as a cover.
We also use the bottles for watering containers in the center of a planter. again cut the top part of the bottle off, poke holes in the bottle,
set in the center of a large planter, plant flowers etc. around it then fill with water. gets water to the roots as necessary, helps to conserve water when necessary.
the 2 or 3 liter bottles can be used as covers around seedlings in the garden bed, as protection from wind etc. Just cut the bottoms off,
and set over seedlings that are coming up.I(f you leave them on the plants during the daytime you should take the screw cap off to allow
air to get in as condensation may form from the heat. put the cap back on at night to help hold in the heat if temps. are dropping overnight.
could also be used as an insect barrier around the plants as they grow.
For that just cut the top and bottom off then use the remaining cylinder
as a sheild for cutworms etc. that might attack the plants.
So I take it by that response, the plastic doesn't necessarily interfere with the seed growing?

Old 06-22-2012, 06:36 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,067,332 times
Quote:
First of all, it's really cool that you're wanting to get started in gardening. You'll love it! A huge amount of what you'll be doing, is learning as you go - which is part of the fun of gardening.

Regarding your picture... That would work for some herbs, and other small plants. The problem is that you've got such a small amount of soil in those bottles, that it won't grow too much. And you'll have to water it daily.

Enjoy the ride!

Old 06-22-2012, 04:56 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
An equally garden-y thing to do with the bottles is to make a tacky "bottle tree." All the best gawdners own a bottle tree. My family thinks I'm an alcoholic, but there's a valid reason for my drinking all that vodka.

I'm saving up my Belvedere bottles for my own tree. I bet plastic bottles could make a really bodacious (or horrific) bottle tree.

I am not sure of the veracity of the following, but here's a little info. about bottle trees:
Appalachian History The bottle tree
Bottle Trees Join Grand Tradition of Pink Flamingos, Garden Gnomes - WSJ.com

Old 07-01-2012, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
An equally garden-y thing to do with the bottles is to make a tacky "bottle tree." All the best gawdners own a bottle tree. My family thinks I'm an alcoholic, but there's a valid reason for my drinking all that vodka.

I'm saving up my Belvedere bottles for my own tree. I bet plastic bottles could make a really bodacious (or horrific) bottle tree.

I am not sure of the veracity of the following, but here's a little info. about bottle trees:
Appalachian History The bottle tree
Bottle Trees Join Grand Tradition of Pink Flamingos, Garden Gnomes - WSJ.com
Thank you for those links. I will be checking them out!

Old 10-30-2012, 09:26 AM

Have any of you ever used old railroad ties to raise up your garden bed? I am thinking about trying it out.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:08 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
Quote:
Have any of you ever used old railroad ties to raise up your garden bed? I am thinking about trying it out.
I wouldn't recommend it as I believe those may be treated w/ toxic chemicals. You could try cedar from the local box store or lumber yard.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I wouldn't recommend it as I believe those may be treated w/ toxic chemicals. You could try cedar from the local box store or lumber yard.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden