U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM

3,718 posts, read 4,592,987 times

Advertisements

Once it gets warmer, I will make an attempt

In the mean time, have you guys heard of or used either of these three products?

Bag O'Blooms Strawberry-Growing Kit
Topsy Turvy Strawberry Planter
Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter

I may go out and purchase either of them but am willing to hear someones two cents first. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM

50 posts, read 82,851 times
I would recommend that you buy strawberry plants. It is rather late to start them from a kit.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:48 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,241,213 times
If the number of calls we get on failed or failing tomatoes is any indication the Topsy Turvy system is a big bust for many home gardeners. I know several experience gardeners who do not have kind words about them.

The bag o blooms hasn't come up much but appears to be a vertical version of a somewhat popular garden in a bag trend. Originally all it was was someone found they could place a bag of potting soil on the ground, make a slit or series of slits and plant individual plants in the slit. Some left it like that and others covered it with mulch. As long as the bag was "watered" every few days the plants thrived and had no weeds to fight.

I've gardened for a long time and have done containers, too. My personal preference would be to grow strawberries in a strawberry pot instead of that hanging plastic bag.

Taken from the following page: The Garden of Eaden: HOW TO OVERWINTER STRAWBERRIES

Here's a bunch of different ideas for using that pot and strawberries and other plants.

Growing Strawberries in Ornamental Containers | Suite101

Herb Garden in a Strawberry Jar

Growing Strawberries In Containers | Pictures of Strawberry: Shortcake, Cheesecake, Ice Cream, Coloring Pages, Smoothie

Ideas for Edible Container Gardens That are Good Looking In Addition to Good Tasting

Old 03-17-2013, 10:19 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
Once it gets warmer, I will make an attempt

In the mean time, have you guys heard of or used either of these three products?

Bag O'Blooms Strawberry-Growing Kit
Topsy Turvy Strawberry Planter
Topsy Turvy Tomato Planter

I may go out and purchase either of them but am willing to hear someones two cents first. Thanks!
One of my coworkers has a wooded lot and not a lot of planting space. She tried the topsy turvy planter a few years ago and said it was unsuccessful.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
One of my coworkers has a wooded lot and not a lot of planting space. She tried the topsy turvy planter a few years ago and said it was unsuccessful.
I did read some of the reviews before posting it, I was skeptical. But hearing real-time opinions on it helps solidify my thoughts on it.

Thanks.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:50 AM

And would any of you recommend this product for a novice?

All American Veggie and Herb Kit

Old 03-20-2013, 05:19 PM

50 posts, read 82,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
And would any of you recommend this product for a novice?

All American Veggie and Herb Kit

Sure. The best thing about gardening is that everyone learns from trial and error. It is so much fun.

Old 03-20-2013, 07:04 PM

67 posts, read 192,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
I wouldn't recommend it as I believe those may be treated w/ toxic chemicals. You could try cedar from the local box store or lumber yard.
Yeah, pretty bad idea. Chromated copper arsenate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am going to use these for my blueberry bed: UltraTimber

They are recycled polymers with wood fibers. No problems with nasty metals, has a nice look to it. Pretty hefty, too.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post
Sure. The best thing about gardening is that everyone learns from trial and error. It is so much fun.
Exactly. I can purchase it and see what happens later on

Old 04-05-2013, 11:40 PM

I am also considering getting this as well:

Blueberry Kit Deal of the Day | Groupon

I did look at the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map that they provided, https://groupon.s3.amazonaws.com/spo...nes_300dpi.pdf but I unfortunately don't understand it. I am in Fairfax County, Virginia, which is just south of Washington DC. If any of you can help "decipher" the map and let me know if my area is good to grow those blueberries, please let me know.

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden