U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 11:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,055 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to figure out the same thing. Is it something called a peppermint plant? Mine almost died years ago after I moved and put it near the radiator in my apartment. I grew roots from cuttings and now have three plants from the original. (The original plant was bought at least 15 years ago.)

These plants thrive in good warm sunlight (my northwestern window) with sufficient but not excessive water and a bit of fertilizer. They do particularly well in the spring and autumn when the heat and light are a bit less intense.

All year-round they produce beautiful shiny deep green leaves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 11:48 AM

6,413 posts, read 8,872,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterRabbit View Post
I think this is a lipstick plant although I'm not sure. It has no flowers. The leaves seem to have the shape and texture but none have a purple shade on the underside and some look too wide. I got it at Lowe's indoor plant section and they didn't know what it is. What do you think?
I have one that is just a baby and it bloomed one flower this fall. I keep mine outside on the front porch with a south and east exposure. It is a lipstick plant. Mine gets very good sunlight.

Lipstick Plant Care - Houseplant Care Tips

Old 01-08-2012, 02:33 AM

3,133 posts, read 8,154,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredsaid View Post
I've been trying to figure out the same thing. Is it something called a peppermint plant? Mine almost died years ago after I moved and put it near the radiator in my apartment. I grew roots from cuttings and now have three plants from the original. (The original plant was bought at least 15 years ago.)

These plants thrive in good warm sunlight (my northwestern window) with sufficient but not excessive water and a bit of fertilizer. They do particularly well in the spring and autumn when the heat and light are a bit less intense.

All year-round they produce beautiful shiny deep green leaves.
I agree with your experience except it isn't a peppermint plant. The flowers (in Pittsburgh) show year-around.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,055 times
Thanks for the info. and link. My plant is identical to the photos, but has never flowered- something to further investigate. I have them in smaller pots as suggested in the article which promotes flowering.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 2,109,766 times
I could be a variety of Peperomia (spelling...it's late). 20 years ago a smaller leaved, variagated version of this was widely available.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 AM

114,046 posts, read 52,470,064 times
Looks like a Hoya to me...

Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 AM

1,312 posts, read 2,109,766 times
Hoyas have leaves that are not as pointed, and the new growth is more vine-like. The leaves of a Hoya are thicker, too. Now that I see the second pic, I feel that it is indeed a Peperomia species. These are still very popular for hanging baskets.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:26 AM

114,046 posts, read 52,470,064 times
I don't recall a Peperomia that looks like that. Hoyas are vine like. There are many varieties of hoya ... I had a thick leaf variety for many years with the pretty ball blooms in pink. I also had another variety which looked just like the plant in question. Perhaps a bloom will come along before long and help identify it.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:11 AM

16,322 posts, read 12,614,470 times
I see that the leaves on the plant are lateral and not alternate, which is characteristic of Hoya but not of Peperomia.....

Old 02-06-2012, 08:18 AM

5,065 posts, read 13,303,789 times
Yes, it's a lipstick plant! I used to have one of those, and it did shed it's leaves after I first got it. But they grew back, and in time produced little "lipstick" flowers. There are several different varieties of lipstick plants, some have more narrow leaves, some wider, some variegated etc. Now I have an urge to get another one, although I think our house is too cold in the winter. They like warm temps.

Here are pics of lipstick plants:
http://www.google.com/search?q=lipst...NeXY0QHvx8SQCw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden