U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 PM

114 posts, read 416,621 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am planning to plant three triple king palms in front of my house, I have several questions:

1. Of the three choices below, which should I get? Why is the 6-7' is so much less expensive than the 7-8' palms?
2. How deep and wide should I dig the holes?
3. Is three triple trunk king palms too many for my house? I plan to have all three on the right side of the house.
4. and how far from the gas, water pipes should I plant them?

Thanks,

*** triple-trunk KING PALM ** PYGMY DATE PALM ** KING PALM *** (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/grd/2425443941.html - broken link)
triple trunk KING palms 6-7' tall in 15 gal. size - $35
triple-trunk KING palms 7-8' tall in box - $100
specimen sized KING palms in box 8-10' tall - $175

Attached Thumbnails
Planting triple king palms-jimmyhouse.jpg  

Last edited by jimmybirdie; 06-07-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:02 PM

22,182 posts, read 12,990,379 times
Do you plan on putting them between the side of your house and your neighbor's house. Don't. They'll get big and cause grief. And 3 in your front yard is too many. Again. They'll grow. Whatever you do, KEEP the sago. That's worth a small fortune.

Is that a plumeria to the left? If it is, when you trim it don't just toss the cuttings out. Another small fortune there.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:01 AM

7,708 posts, read 10,996,334 times
What is the name of that evergreen on the right? Looks like a monkey puzzle tree, but is probably a cousin.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:10 PM

22,182 posts, read 12,990,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
What is the name of that evergreen on the right? Looks like a monkey puzzle tree, but is probably a cousin.
I think it's a Norfolk Island Pine aka Hawaiian Christmas Tree.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 AM

Hi,

May be I will only have two triple king palms instead of three. No, the tree on the left is not a plumeria. It has some kind of yellow fruits that one of my neighbors likes to eat. Yes, I will keep the Sago palm.

Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Do you plan on putting them between the side of your house and your neighbor's house. Don't. They'll get big and cause grief. And 3 in your front yard is too many. Again. They'll grow. Whatever you do, KEEP the sago. That's worth a small fortune.

Is that a plumeria to the left? If it is, when you trim it don't just toss the cuttings out. Another small fortune there.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:49 AM

I am not sure what kind of tree it is but it belongs to my neighbor. My house is at a cul-de-sac and my yard is a little bit slanted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I think it's a Norfolk Island Pine aka Hawaiian Christmas Tree.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM

11,186 posts, read 12,802,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
I am not sure what kind of tree it is but it belongs to my neighbor. My house is at a cul-de-sac and my yard is a little bit slanted.
Definitely a Norfolk Pine. The same ones you see in the grocery stores at Christmas time for sale, only much smaller. We had one when we lived in Orange County and they can get huge! But they're a tropical pine. I've seen people here in Denver leave them out in the cold in a pot, thinking they can take the cold. Not even close!

Old 06-10-2011, 03:44 PM

7,708 posts, read 10,996,334 times
Thanks. I have a 6 foot potted Norfolk Island pine that I bought as (you guessed it) a $20 Christmas tree. Love to plant it outside like the one in the photo, but that would be death sentence in these parts.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:22 PM

20,727 posts, read 13,504,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmybirdie View Post
Hi,

May be I will only have two triple king palms instead of three. No, the tree on the left is not a plumeria. It has some kind of yellow fruits that one of my neighbors likes to eat. Yes, I will keep the Sago palm.

Thanks,
That is a Loquat Tree. Hate those nasty dirty trees.

Loquat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would not advise putting those types of Palms on the side of your house.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:04 PM

Exactly, the fruits are axactly like that. I don't like the taste of this fruit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
That is a Loquat Tree. Hate those nasty dirty trees.

Loquat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I would not advise putting those types of Palms on the side of your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden