U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM

10,520 posts, read 11,628,203 times

Advertisements

Grilling pork chops. From the garden having lettuce, grilled squash, grilled onions, grilled sweet banana peppers, snap beans and snow peas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 PM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Is this time to plant new things already? I pulled out my cabbage after the worms got the best out of it while I was away and I have an empty space. Does winter squash get huge like summer squash?
Pretty much it does: I would plant your winter squash now..At least I planted mine. I figure I will start getting some the end of Sept and continue into mid November.. I won't plant any other winter veggies but I do have sweet pots planted.

Nita

Old 07-27-2011, 09:03 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
Yay I got all my peaches from the tree ALMOST before the critters. Woot! Unfortunatley, an insect still got into the "bagged" peach. So I think my "bagging" may have been pretty much a failed experiment. I did use waxed paper with slits, though...so who knows.

I also have been eating one or two asian pears daily. They're not 100% ripe, but I figured I would try to beat the animals this time. Picked a couple of tomatoes, but they're not ripening very fast. I did get some baby "pear" type and some cherry ones. The ones that volunteered from last year and are somehow in my flower beds are also producing tomatoes.

No insects on the tommytoes yet, but I have been picking them about 3/4's ripe. HEY Mnita Good idea about planting winter squash now. I have some butternut seed. Maybe if I plant them now the borers won't get them. I still have room in a couple of beds to stick some seeds!

Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yay I got all my peaches from the tree ALMOST before the critters. Woot! Unfortunatley, an insect still got into the "bagged" peach. So I think my "bagging" may have been pretty much a failed experiment. I did use waxed paper with slits, though...so who knows.

I also have been eating one or two asian pears daily. They're not 100% ripe, but I figured I would try to beat the animals this time. Picked a couple of tomatoes, but they're not ripening very fast. I did get some baby "pear" type and some cherry ones. The ones that volunteered from last year and are somehow in my flower beds are also producing tomatoes.

No insects on the tommytoes yet, but I have been picking them about 3/4's ripe. HEY Mnita Good idea about planting winter squash now. I have some butternut seed. Maybe if I plant them now the borers won't get them. I still have room in a couple of beds to stick some seeds!
My understanding and I could be wrong is: planting this late, as the weather starts to cool down we are not as apt to get the borers or squash bugs.

NIta

Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 AM

39,357 posts, read 14,432,300 times
Finally, the last couple of days I've harvested some yellow roma tomatoes from my potted plant! (The tag says roma, but they are very small, like grape tomatoes.) They're sweet and delicious!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
My understanding and I could be wrong is: planting this late, as the weather starts to cool down we are not as apt to get the borers or squash bugs.

NIta
I don't know, of course, but I think you're right. I think the squash borers have a "life cycle" that begins in Spring. Now the borers are adults so they won't be "laying" on things and having their babies chew the life out of them.

It's all becomig clear to me now... *sings* the ciiiircle of liiife

Anyway, I have more seeds...and I hope you're right. I have a good feeling about having some yummy pumpkins in time for Thanksgiving.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:45 PM

983 posts, read 2,103,009 times
I made some zucchini bread yesterday and it's all gone but one slice, trying to not stuff my face with it . I have couple zucchini on one plant and mom is plotting for them "she says: just let them grow big so you can use only one for the bread". I love my mom

Old 07-27-2011, 09:43 PM

75 posts, read 258,949 times
My garden provided me with wonderful ingredients to make a basic salad. I had an assorted lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, dill and I added a red onion. I enjoyed the freshness of my salad.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 AM

983 posts, read 2,103,009 times
Sounds nice ShellyR. I discovered a big cucumber yesterday, it was hidden and it was a really nice surprise, we didn't have much cukes, so I was thrilled to find this big one. I am having it in a salad today with a few of my cherry tomatoes.

Old 07-28-2011, 08:46 AM

I got another asian pear today, and I picked some sage for one of my coworkers. The tomatoes are there in droves, but taking FOREVER to ripen...The blackberry bush has blackberries on it, but the insects generally get those by the time they're ripe. I ate a couple of pinkish ones just so I could say I had some. LOL Maybe I'll try the insecticidal soap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or