U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,474 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38797

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyR View Post
My garden provided me with wonderful ingredients to make a basic salad. I had an assorted lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, cucumbers, dill and I added a red onion. I enjoyed the freshness of my salad.
wow, our lettuce is long gone (I didn't have any but friends did) you must live in a cooler climate.

We got more tomatoes: plum, grape, reg and cherry plus lots more Okra. For plants that I didn't think were doing anything a month ago to almost trees. NOw I don't know what to do with all the okra..I will probably pickle it..Tonight we are having it with tomatoes, onions and spices. It is recipe I cut out about a month or so ago.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-28-2011, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Philaburbia
31,262 posts, read 57,461,137 times
Reputation: 52149
I picked an entire bushel of tomatoes from the garden last night.

Firing up the canner tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 11:22 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC dreaming of other places
983 posts, read 2,108,223 times
Reputation: 777
Default Good for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I picked an entire bushel of tomatoes from the garden last night.

Firing up the canner tonight.
I have been eating the tomatoes, don't have enough to can, but there is always hope next yest. Have fun canning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 11:38 AM
 
75 posts, read 259,424 times
Reputation: 28
Today, I plan to make several types of herb butter and fragrant olive oil using parsley, basil, dill, and chives from my garden. Surprisingly, the rosemary didn't come up at all. I love herb butter with fish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,474 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyR View Post
Today, I plan to make several types of herb butter and fragrant olive oil using parsley, basil, dill, and chives from my garden. Surprisingly, the rosemary didn't come up at all. I love herb butter with fish.
Shelly, are you going to make the enfused olive oil and keep it thrugh the winter or just make a little? I ask because when our granddaughter got married a few years ago that was what our daughter did: she got small bottles, we made different kinds of olive oils and they were favors. Everyone thought is was a great idea. Then about a month or so ago someone told me if you use fresh herbs it can caused botulism (spelling) scared the holy you know what out of me. I was going to make oils and vinegar for Christmas stockings but now I am scared.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,474 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I picked an entire bushel of tomatoes from the garden last night.

Firing up the canner tonight.
We don't have quite that many yet, but if the weather doesn't kill them all I will do some canning in a few weeks.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 PM
 
75 posts, read 259,424 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Shelly, are you going to make the enfused olive oil and keep it thrugh the winter or just make a little? I ask because when our granddaughter got married a few years ago that was what our daughter did: she got small bottles, we made different kinds of olive oils and they were favors. Everyone thought is was a great idea. Then about a month or so ago someone told me if you use fresh herbs it can caused botulism (spelling) scared the holy you know what out of me. I was going to make oils and vinegar for Christmas stockings but now I am scared.

NIta
Nita, you raise an interesting point. I've only infused a small amount of olive oil once before and had no problems. Now that you scared the you know what out of me, I'll stick to the herb butter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,474 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyR View Post
Nita, you raise an interesting point. I've only infused a small amount of olive oil once before and had no problems. Now that you scared the you know what out of me, I'll stick to the herb butter.
Darn, I was hoping you would have a different answer: As I said, 100 people at the wedding and no one got sick, but I still need to have someone who really knows tell me the real truth. Darn, I want to do it so bad. Guess I will do some butter as well.

I will do flavored vinegar though. It is safe and I found a recipe for chile pepper olive oil. It too I guess is safe.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 PM
 
75 posts, read 259,424 times
Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Darn, I was hoping you would have a different answer: As I said, 100 people at the wedding and no one got sick, but I still need to have someone who really knows tell me the real truth. Darn, I want to do it so bad. Guess I will do some butter as well.

I will do flavored vinegar though. It is safe and I found a recipe for chile pepper olive oil. It too I guess is safe.

Nita
Nita, I never thought about flavored vinegar. It sounds like it would kick my salads up a notch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
69,474 posts, read 79,700,409 times
Reputation: 38797
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyR View Post
Nita, I never thought about flavored vinegar. It sounds like it would kick my salads up a notch.
I have done it before and it is fun plus, because of the high acid you don't have to worry about spoilage. I have a recipe book with lots of good ideas for flavored vinegar.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top