U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 PM

69,273 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Boy Nita, you are on a roll, if something doesn't produce you pull it out.
yep, I have no use for things that do serve a purpose..

actually, my whole garden is looking sadder by the day except for the strange cukes I picked today and I will have more.

Here is the story: 2 years ago I planted these really unusual cukes, I can't remember what they were called, but they are small and round (if they get o large they are not good) anyway, they never produced. Then last year out of the clear blue sky I had about 5 or 6. I didn't plant them, that is for sure. Well, this morning I am in the garden, checking for whatever I can find, I pick up a cuke vine and there they are again. Infact the vines are taking over the entire garden almost. I don't know if I should laugh or cry.

Oh, my cherry tomatoes are about the size of a small marble. The heat has just been too much for them.

Nit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 08:43 PM

20,596 posts, read 15,424,228 times
My garden fed me the very first tomato I have ever grown!

It was pretty darn good...although it did take me about 20 minutes of contemplation because it was hard for me to cut open my first new little baby tomato.

I have 4 more in the fridge right now. I rule at this!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:38 PM

983 posts, read 2,103,009 times
^^^ Nothing taste better than the fruit of your own labor, enjoy your hard work. I think my tomatoes are almost done. I wish if it's a little cooler so I can go out and plant some more. I am able to be outside for few minutes that's all.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
^^^ Nothing taste better than the fruit of your own labor, enjoy your hard work. I think my tomatoes are almost done. I wish if it's a little cooler so I can go out and plant some more. I am able to be outside for few minutes that's all.
We usually have tomaotes until mid Oct and then I pull them out (yes, pull them out) and wrap what are left in newspaper. I will be surprised if we have them more than aother 3 or 4 weeks this year.

NIta

Old 08-10-2011, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
My garden fed me the very first tomato I have ever grown!

It was pretty darn good...although it did take me about 20 minutes of contemplation because it was hard for me to cut open my first new little baby tomato.

I have 4 more in the fridge right now. I rule at this!
There is nothing like that first tomato of the season or in your case the first you have grown. Hopefully there will be many more to come.

Nita

Old 08-10-2011, 07:54 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
I embarrassed myself yesterday. We have about a half acre fenced in for the dogs, the yard is 2.5 acres including my garden, the other about 9 acres are heavily wooded. A friend came by yesterday, he and his wife. She was sitting in the back yard watching the dogs play when she said, "Dusty, I didn't know you have a Black Walnut Tree". "I do??" was my response. She laughed and pointed to a fairly large tree just outside the fence. I walked over, looked the tree up and down and exclaimed "Well,...Damn, why haven't I noticed this before??" Sure enough, a Black Walnut w/nuts less than ten feet from my fence and I had no idea it was there, Yeah, so much for being observant!!!

Old 08-10-2011, 09:48 AM

983 posts, read 2,103,009 times
^^ Congratulations on your new found, here you go, no more buying walnuts. Here is my bounty for today, of course it doesn't comapre to the Black Walnut tree.

Last edited by happehart; 08-10-2011 at 10:58 AM..

Old 08-13-2011, 01:49 PM

It is looking more and more like our garden is going to be put to rest for the season before long. Our okra, is still producing but just a couple each day (at the most) our tomatoes are shrinking in size and just about finished, some creature decided they were hungry last night and choose to eat a few peppers, but they didn't like them. so after they smashed one plant they actually pulled another out and they only took a couple bites out of the peppers: our cukes have hundreds of blossoms, but nothing else. I pulled a few out today and a few dead tomato plants. I am leaving the okra alone for awhile, am letting some of the cuke plants remain and have a few tomato and pepper plants left. The good news: our sweet potato plants look awesmone and so does the winter squash.

Nita

Old 08-13-2011, 03:44 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,981,509 times
Our garden is just about burned up for the year! We are still eating on a few tomatoes..thats about it.

Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,406,838 times
Tomatoes and two asian pears. I think I see a pattern... The nasturtiums and winter squash I planted a couple of weeks ago are growing. That's the most exciting veggie-related stuff in the garden, at the moment.

Except the pumpkins which are still hanging on. Here's the biggest:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or