Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM

866 posts, read 1,136,802 times

Advertisements

everything I have planted so far has either not sprouted(must be old seeds) or has sprouted then died...there are trees all around the yard that keep dropping their seed pods which have taken over the beds...the more I pull the seedlings out and stir up the dirt, the more tree seedlings come up...
since I don't think we'll be living here too much longer I don't see any point in wasting any more time with trying to get a garden to grow...
this lot is not garden friendly...in the 6 years we have lived here we were only able to get a garden to produce one time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
everything I have planted so far has either not sprouted(must be old seeds) or has sprouted then died...there are trees all around the yard that keep dropping their seed pods which have taken over the beds...the more I pull the seedlings out and stir up the dirt, the more tree seedlings come up...
since I don't think we'll be living here too much longer I don't see any point in wasting any more time with trying to get a garden to grow...
this lot is not garden friendly...in the 6 years we have lived here we were only able to get a garden to produce one time...
I had a similar problem in Dallas. After years of a decent garden in Ca and VA I was excited about starting a garden in Texas. We rarely got anything worth eating, or we had a few decent herbs, a few cukes and an occassional tomato. Part of the problem was finding a decent spot with enough sun and part of the problem, in the areas that did have enough sun, the heat was so bad we just didn't seem to be able to keep the ground moist enough. We had lots of flowers, beautiful St Augustine grass and crepe myrtles, but nothing to eat.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:28 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I had an "herb" omlette w/ sage, thyme, garlic chives, marjoram and a couple leaves of monarda didyma.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:24 PM

866 posts, read 1,136,802 times
I have given up all hope of growing a garden on this lot...
besides, the way things are going I may not be living here much
longer...no clue where I'll go, just hit the road and not look back...

Old 04-26-2012, 06:31 PM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Chives & scallions good to harvest now.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:44 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftmyheartintennessee View Post
I have given up all hope of growing a garden on this lot...
besides, the way things are going I may not be living here much
longer...no clue where I'll go, just hit the road and not look back...
Well...if you are still there for a couple of months why not try something like prickly pear or amaranth?

These may grow better as crops in TX if it is really arid.
Everlasting Amaranth :: Crop of the future? « South Texas Food
Propagating Prickly Pear Cactus

I don't have the right conditions, but these guys may be inexpensive to start and provide a few goodies before you need to leave Texas, which sux by the way... Not Texas, but the fact you may be uprooted.

I love prickly pear and we ate it in my very dry/rocky island of origin. It is eaten in Mexico as well, where they call it "nopales." The taste is a little sour and the texture a little slippery. It is really delicious and nourishing, IMO... It is difficult to kill, and eventually produces delicious fruits.

Nopalitos with Tomatoes and Onions Recipe | Simply Recipes

Old 04-30-2012, 05:08 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,942,077 times
I am in New Hampshire, where it is too early to plant my gardens. However, my herbs are up and I'm doing some early cuttings (consider it 'trimming for bushier plants later in the season). Garlic chives, regular chives, tarragon, have been harvested. Hoping for a stellar garden season!

Old 04-30-2012, 05:23 PM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
Used some thyme from my container garden in my stewed pork chops. Love how my thyme is always growing.

Old 04-30-2012, 10:01 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,910,766 times
Brocilli, Brocilli and more brocilli.
First year I tried it.
Unfortunately 2 of the big heads went to yellow flowers, but I will eat them
anyway. Next is squash. It's getting there.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:04 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
Brocilli, Brocilli and more brocilli.
First year I tried it.
Unfortunately 2 of the big heads went to yellow flowers, but I will eat them
anyway. Next is squash. It's getting there.
wow our squah plants are just really coming up nice right now. We are probably 6 weeks away from actually fruit, maybe just a month. I did pick some mint for the first time last night. We have a lot but it isn't something I use much. I combined it with cilantro, from the garden and a little dill and put it in my pasta salad. It added a different flavor but hubby said he loved it.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden