U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 08:57 PM

4,824 posts, read 8,731,204 times

Advertisements

Coastal NC here and my garden gave up some cherry tomatoes and some fresh basil for my morning omelette. It's gotten hot here the past few days and those maters are ripening rapidly--and are drinking a lot of water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:36 AM
Status: "Super Junior's 12th Anniversary!" (set 4 days ago)

6,417 posts, read 12,536,328 times
Three zucchini I stirfried with sage and garlic chives. The garlic chives are perennial woo...they also have pretty flowers. Ate more black raspberries and mulberries. On another note, there are three frogs (or toads, I don't really know) living in my pond!

I went to clean off some of the lily pads because they had dried mud on them and there are frog eggs underneath some of the pads. I'm going to be a Frog MOMMY! I hope tadpoles eat mosquitoes, because they're biting the crap out of me.

Old 06-19-2011, 02:12 PM

65,018 posts, read 72,724,266 times
of course lots of herbs, but otherwise all we have gotten so far is about enough green beans for dinner this week. We do have several types of tomatoes that are green and a couple turning so I am guessing it will be only a few more weeks. We also have several baby jalapenos and a couple of bells.

Nita

Old 06-20-2011, 01:54 PM

2,788 posts, read 3,367,309 times
I'm really missing lettuce now that it all bolted,& the snow peas are done too! Just ate my first tomato of the season last night, an awesomely sweet orange cherry. Also eating Swiss chard, onions, & saw lots of green beans & a few peppers about ready for pickin'!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:00 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,073,451 times
Hummmm, Romaine and buttercrunch lettuce, spinach, tomatos, yellow squash, zucchini, butternut squash, brussel sprouts, five varieties of peppers, cabbage and onions ---- watermelon (sugar baby), cantaloupe (hales best) and corn (incredible) are not yet ready.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:16 PM

983 posts, read 1,983,366 times
Default It's Hot Hot Hot

So, I went up to Boone area for the weekend, wanted to check the area and get away from the heat. It's very nice and quiet up there, temps were in the high 60 low 70. Just this morning it was 71 when we left, and here it is 94 in Charlotte. Found a couple nice red cherry tomatoes and couple green peppers. I will have them with dinner.

I found couple little horn worms on my tomatoes, I am watching my plants like a hawk now. They really damaged the one I planted last year and I am not letting them win. Still struggling with my zucchini and squash, but will see.

Sounds like everyone is enjoying a little of our hard work (except of Dusty, you are enjoying a lot )

Old 06-20-2011, 05:14 PM

389 posts, read 1,353,856 times
Wow how quickly things change around here when we get some sun! The romaine lettuce seemed to grow a foot overnight, have had a few salads with it and the arugula.

The garden "fed" my killer chihuahuas a fat mole the other evening. EEEK! (they didn't really eat it)Nice that these cute little lap dogs have some skills. ;-)

Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,485,630 times
Mine fed lettuce, broccoli and some basil .

Old 06-20-2011, 09:40 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,073,451 times
And...since my first post, 2 tomato sandwiches!! Dang!! They're good!!

Happehart, you are more than welcome to come up and sample. Did I mention that my first planting of corn is tasselling?

Old 06-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Status: "Super Junior's 12th Anniversary!" (set 4 days ago)

6,417 posts, read 12,536,328 times
I had a really delicious dinner last night, so I'm posting the recipe. The daylily buds and zucchini were from the garden:

Fake-Chinese Noodle Soup

3 Cloves of garlic cut into chunks or thick slices
3 tablespoons of organic sesame or peanut oil (the clear kind)
1/2 onion sliced
1 zucchini sliced in 1/8 - 1/4 inch rounds (Garden)
5 unopened daylily buds (Garden)
1 teaspoon "better than boullion"
salt to taste
1/4 cup (or to taste) organic soy sauce
5 (I can't remember how many I used, so taste and add as needed) cups of water
powdered ginger
1 serving or Roland organic Lomein noodles
1 tablespoon (or to taste) organic turbinado sugar
1/4 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

Heat oil in stock pot and saute garlic, onion, zucchini on medium. The point is the get "wok hei" or a little caramelization to give the soup flavor. Slit daylily bulbs and remove pistils/stamens. Add daylily buds and a pinch of powdered ginger to pan when the stuff in the pot is cooked a little.

Saute for a few seconds. Add water. Bring to a low boil and add ramen noodles, better than boullion, soy sauce and sugar.

Taste.

Add salt and adjust seasoning as needed. Boil for 2.5 - 3 minutes until noodles are done.

Pour into huge soup bowl. Add the toasted sesame oil. Enjoy!

Last edited by kinkytoes; 06-21-2011 at 12:22 PM.. Reason: Fixed the water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden