U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 05:43 AM

118,677 posts, read 13,636,894 times

Advertisements

We harvested our first English cucumber, a handful of Portuguese chilies and lots of mint,chive and parsley, fenugreek and cilantro. From the mint I made spicy hot mint chutney...oohh sooo tasty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 08:14 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,403,963 times
Lettuce! A giant head of loose leaf lettuce. I have simpson curled and it is AWESOME. I can't believe it has not bolted yet. It is pest free, disease free and DELICIOUS. I have to remember to grow it again. I ate it in a salad with other stuff added from the salad bar.

I picked some of the self-sown basil. I have to think of what to eat it with. I don't have any pasta. Maybe marinated with mozzarella for lunch tomorrow.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:24 PM

6,191 posts, read 14,716,763 times
My first cherry tomato!

kinkytoes I have basil out the ying-yang. I've been using it frequently. It's also great in curries, fresh salads (even fruit salads, trust me), omelettes, Thai food....and of course Italian dishes. But it's really versatile and people forget that it's used in all sorts of cuisines that don't involve tomatoes and pasta.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:08 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
We have had cherry tomatoes the last couple of days and with the beans I picked this morning we have enough for dinner tonight.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:12 AM

69,259 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
My first cherry tomato!

kinkytoes I have basil out the ying-yang. I've been using it frequently. It's also great in curries, fresh salads (even fruit salads, trust me), omelettes, Thai food....and of course Italian dishes. But it's really versatile and people forget that it's used in all sorts of cuisines that don't involve tomatoes and pasta.
I have never tried basil in an omelet but I bet it would be good. I use it for a lot of other things. Ours is doing well this year as well. I have started putting our herbs in the shade more than the sun, because it is so damn hot here the past few years. They are doing great!!!

Old 06-28-2013, 10:53 AM

Well from my 1 chili bush I plugged 16 green chilies, I plugged 3 bell peppers and harvested coriander and fenugreek. My 4 tomato bushes are tall and proudly standing and having lots of green little tomatoes. I can hardly wait to sit by the tomato plant and eat a fresh ripe red tomato, than reach over to the chive,plug some chive and munch away.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:14 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,149,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Well from my 1 chili bush I plugged 16 green chilies, I plugged 3 bell peppers and harvested coriander and fenugreek. My 4 tomato bushes are tall and proudly standing and having lots of green little tomatoes. I can hardly wait to sit by the tomato plant and eat a fresh ripe red tomato, than reach over to the chive,plug some chive and munch away.
What do you with your fenugreek? I have a couple plants growing that I grew from a jar of seeds from the Indian grocery store. I mostly just use it for Indian food right now. It would probably be a good substitute for spinach though. Kind of tastes like spinach with an herbal flavor.

Old 06-28-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
What do you with your fenugreek? I have a couple plants growing that I grew from a jar of seeds from the Indian grocery store. I mostly just use it for Indian food right now. It would probably be a good substitute for spinach though. Kind of tastes like spinach with an herbal flavor.
High there I wash my fenugreek, and freeze it for making Indian dishes, I put it in omelettes and scrambled eggs.

Old 06-28-2013, 02:49 PM

2,198 posts, read 2,149,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
High there I wash my fenugreek, and freeze it for making Indian dishes, I put it in omelettes and scrambled eggs.
I've added it to omelets too, it works pretty well.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:42 PM

17,985 posts, read 17,140,226 times
You're all far ahead of me. We had so much rain and cold that I only planted the tomato plants about a week ago. Today I staked them but they are only tiny.

I ate a lot of parsley from a pot--chopped up and put in meatballs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or