U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
65,018 posts, read 72,741,216 times
Reputation: 33869

Advertisements

Finally I can pick at least a couple things each day: I haven't checked this morning (it is only 6am) but yesterday a few zucchinis, green beans and now my tomatoes are starting to rippen by the minute almost.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-02-2011, 03:27 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC dreaming of other places
983 posts, read 1,983,692 times
Reputation: 777
I just cut a few tomatoes and had them with my lunch. They taste amazing, I am in love with my cherry tomatoes, not too crazy about Roma. Better Boy is doing OK but not as happy in a pot like the others in the raised bed. My fig tree is happy again, it needed more water .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 05:22 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
16,227 posts, read 20,929,834 times
Reputation: 23964
Green peppers, and cucumbers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 05:42 PM
Status: "Working on a new project!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Home in TN:)
18,971 posts, read 23,603,861 times
Reputation: 83370
I am finally getting something

Today I got some banana peppers, peas, yellow squash and one zucchini. Tomatoes, beans, and cukes are doing well but they just aren't ready yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC dreaming of other places
983 posts, read 1,983,692 times
Reputation: 777
Default I am waiting for my cukes too

Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
I am finally getting something

Today I got some banana peppers, peas, yellow squash and one zucchini. Tomatoes, beans, and cukes are doing well but they just aren't ready yet
I have one that is almost ready. I hand pollinated it, the rest are tiny and they fall off. I have to hand pollinate the squash and zucchini too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2011, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Out West
19,073 posts, read 13,533,159 times
Reputation: 22597
Nothing yet. I just started gardening when I moved to Maine about a month and a half ago.

When I was a kid we had a gigantic vegetable garden and I learned a few things, like how to plant, how to make rows, and especially how to weed. I'm a master at weeding. If there was a degree, I'd be one of the top degree holders in the nation because we had to weed that dang garden, that HUGE garden, every single year as kids.

But maintaining the garden...with exception of weeding, we didn't get a lot of experience with.

So, I'm trying it for the first time. I'm starting slow...got some flowers in one area...hoping for the best.

And for feeding myself...I have two tomato plants. I'm starting small and with something that seems like anyone who knows how to get in a car and go buy a plant can grow...surely I can handle this, right?

I actually have tomatoes...I'm besides myself with joy because I'm growing tomatoes! But they are still green...and I'm just hoping and praying that I do everything right to keep those little planties alive.

It's my first time at it alone...we shall see. IF I am successful, this fall I'm going to start the garlic. And next late spring, try my hand at potatoes and onion and more tomatoes. But first, have to see if I can handle two tomato plants.

Any tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 02:50 AM
Status: "Super Junior's 12th Anniversary!" (set 6 days ago)
 
Location: Land of Free Johnson-Weld-2016
6,417 posts, read 12,538,866 times
Reputation: 6279
Ugh the lightening just woke me up! At least we got rain! I got some pole beans and two zucchini yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:05 AM
Status: "Working on a new project!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Home in TN:)
18,971 posts, read 23,603,861 times
Reputation: 83370
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Nothing yet. I just started gardening when I moved to Maine about a month and a half ago.

When I was a kid we had a gigantic vegetable garden and I learned a few things, like how to plant, how to make rows, and especially how to weed. I'm a master at weeding. If there was a degree, I'd be one of the top degree holders in the nation because we had to weed that dang garden, that HUGE garden, every single year as kids.

But maintaining the garden...with exception of weeding, we didn't get a lot of experience with.

So, I'm trying it for the first time. I'm starting slow...got some flowers in one area...hoping for the best.

And for feeding myself...I have two tomato plants. I'm starting small and with something that seems like anyone who knows how to get in a car and go buy a plant can grow...surely I can handle this, right?

I actually have tomatoes...I'm besides myself with joy because I'm growing tomatoes! But they are still green...and I'm just hoping and praying that I do everything right to keep those little planties alive.

It's my first time at it alone...we shall see. IF I am successful, this fall I'm going to start the garlic. And next late spring, try my hand at potatoes and onion and more tomatoes. But first, have to see if I can handle two tomato plants.

Any tips?
Congratulations on your tomatoes Unlike you, I never learned how to do "real" gardening, so I started really slow by (which requires no weeding)doing a square foot garden. This is my third year and I am still learning.

I give my tomatoes a little organic feed, sometimes some Miracle Grow, and also Epsom salt mixed with water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 06:07 AM
Status: "Working on a new project!!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Home in TN:)
18,971 posts, read 23,603,861 times
Reputation: 83370
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I have one that is almost ready. I hand pollinated it, the rest are tiny and they fall off. I have to hand pollinate the squash and zucchini too.
Why are you hand pollinating? Sorry..I missed that post.

I had a dud zucchini plant last year and is was very disappointing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2011, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC dreaming of other places
983 posts, read 1,983,692 times
Reputation: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Why are you hand pollinating? Sorry..I missed that post.

I had a dud zucchini plant last year and is was very disappointing.
I don't have bees and the baby zucks and cukes keeps dying and I read if I hand pollinate them it will work. I have been doing that with the zucks and I have couple that are growing and tried it with one cuke and it's working. I will start doing more cukes since the baby ones keep dying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top