U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 08:09 PM

983 posts, read 2,103,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorMama View Post
Any tips?
I am just like Lisa, I didn't learn anything about gardening growing up and just dived in. Adding to what Lisa said, I keep my eye on my plants. Everyday I look at it, I had couple hornwarms that attacked my tomatoes but I managed to get them. I water them everyday, I am in the South and it's very hot here. GL. I know you will be a success, keeping the weed out of the garden is a tough job, so the rest is easy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 09:00 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,702,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Good for you Dusty, I am waiting for mine to ripen, still green. I harvested two zukes today and will make them for lunch.
LOL, last year I only planted one Cherokee Purple tomato plant, this year I have eight of them, my wife says that next year we need at least 12. They certainly do make GOOD sandwiches!!

Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I have one that is almost ready. I hand pollinated it, the rest are tiny and they fall off. I have to hand pollinate the squash and zucchini too.
When we first moved in here it was all red clay in our clearing, I did the lime and fertilizer thing and also, much to my wifes' chagrin, threw handfulls of clover seeds to the sides and top and bottom of where my garden would be. Betsy doesn't like clover, I had to explain my thinking. I told her the clover was to our benefit, it would entice the bees into our yard before any garden would be in bloom, between the clover, the butterfly bushes and the crepe myrtles, pollination is not one of our problems here.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:06 AM

20,632 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Congratulations on your tomatoes Unlike you, I never learned how to do "real" gardening, so I started really slow by (which requires no weeding)doing a square foot garden. This is my third year and I am still learning.

I give my tomatoes a little organic feed, sometimes some Miracle Grow, and also Epsom salt mixed with water.
Thanks!! I looked really closely yesterday, there are 5 on one plant and 4 on another...that were not there when I wrote that post!

I have Miracle Grow...I will put some around the plants and see how they like it.

Quote:
I don't have bees and the baby zucks and cukes keeps dying and I read if I hand pollinate them it will work. I have been doing that with the zucks and I have couple that are growing and tried it with one cuke and it's working. I will start doing more cukes since the baby ones keep dying
What is hand pollinating? Thankfully we have a lot of bees around here, (I've become very aware of them since my dogs like to try to bite them...just waiting for one of them to get stung), so maybe it's something I don't need to worry about but still want to know how you do it and what it is.

Quote:
I am just like Lisa, I didn't learn anything about gardening growing up and just dived in. Adding to what Lisa said, I keep my eye on my plants. Everyday I look at it, I had couple hornwarms that attacked my tomatoes but I managed to get them. I water them everyday, I am in the South and it's very hot here. GL. I know you will be a success, keeping the weed out of the garden is a tough job, so the rest is easy.
I check the plants no less than twice a day as I take the dogs out to do their business and play. They have been taught that if they step foot one in to my gardens that I worked hard to make nice, they will lose limbs. (Of course they won't but just play along so they think it.)

I've been unsure how much to water. I read one post where someone was being told they watered their plants too much after planting and gave I think it was called "root rot" but I don't want to underwater them, (usually my downfall in trying to grow even plants in a pot for the house), either. I would say, I water about twice a week if it's not raining one of those days. Don't know if that's enough...I just basically look at the soil around where the roots went in and if it's dryish looking, I give them a bit. If it still looks like it might have some moisture, I don't touch them. Who knows if I'm doing it right but thus far, everything is living and not all wilted or anything.

Old 07-04-2011, 04:58 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,216,841 times
Default Lots and Lots of Joy, Peace, and Love

This morning as I sat here in my sun room, looking out over my garden, I saw a chickadee examining my honeysuckles for insects. Not long after she'd gone on, a hummer took her spot for a drink.

Later, as I was watering the flower beds, I saw a dragonfly zoom in to hover about the flowering quince espalier I trimmed back to the fence, yesterday. After the water had soaked into the beds and I was weeding grass from the dianthus I seeded this spring, I found two bright red-orange lady bugs traversing the soils I'd disrupted.

I was thrilled to see my cucumber starts had survived Bigun's tromp through the bed, fetching an ill-tossed ball, and finding seedling parsley returned from last year's plantings.

All this while I've listened to the birds' songs from the trees and shrubs that grow in and about my yard. The pollinators' hum thrums like a small, unmechanized engine rotating my tiny world.

My garden restores my soul, warms my heart, and lightens my spirits. Of course, when I come inside I am still hungry!

Old 07-04-2011, 08:16 PM

Dusty, Thanks for the tip again. I started searching for a bigger house with some land so I can have a bigger garden :-)

Mayberry, your post is really nice, very poetic :-) enjoy your garden and may you have more pollinators.

Gator mama, go to youtube (yes, youtube) and just search for hand pollinating zucchini. You will be happily surprised. There are plenty of videos on youtube about gardening, I go search it when I want to learn something new of have a tough question that I want answered right away. Of course our forum here is my primary source of information and they were the ones who opened my eyes on youtube "how to" videos.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:21 PM

You are more than welcome for the tip. You are also still welcome to drive up here one Sunday and pick a few tomatos, my corn will be coming in this week, a very nice white corn, so sweet you don't need to cook it. If you can get to I85/40 you can get within a mile of my house, directions are simple.

Old 07-05-2011, 08:06 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,490,574 times
Our little garden, even if the grass is taking over, is beginning to give up stuff daily: not a lot but something. Our cherry and grape tomatoes are going like gangbusters, I am getting a few squash each day and the peppers (both bell and jalapeno) are coming along. Even the green beans are doing ok and I actually saw a couple of okra pods yesterday. This year I used straw for mulch, never again.

NIta

Old 07-05-2011, 10:54 AM

16,227 posts, read 21,988,662 times
Cucumbers, potatoes, and onions.

Old 07-05-2011, 02:53 PM

Wow, I was away for the weekend and boy I couldn't stop thinking about my garden. The first thing I did as soon as I walked from the door is go outside and check it out. I found one very nice cucumber, one huge zucchini, one nice looking eggplant and a bunch of cherry tomatoes. I ate some of the tomatoes and cucumber with lunch and going to have the eggplant for dinner . I was upset when I found a few green worms in my collard greens, I cleaned them up but they did some damage. I don't want to spray anything so I have been doing the cleaning by hand, yuk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or