U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2011, 09:44 AM

69,313 posts, read 79,508,905 times

Advertisements

sounds like all our gardens are starting to produce our dinner. I am picking grape and cherry tomatoes by the dozens plus reg tomatoes. I picked my first bell pepper today, not very big, but still *****ble and I am seeing some okra pods. My squash has just gotten battered by first rain and hail, then too much heat, then rain again. Plus all the weeds, I have a gut feeling it will be pulled out very early this year, like in a month or so. Betweent the crappy weather and the lack of bees it just isn't like years past.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM

983 posts, read 2,104,330 times
Just gave some of my tomatoes and squash to my neighbor. She and her parents (visiting) were very excited. I had my first heirloom tomato and boy it tastes amazing. I have a big zucchini that I will make zucchini bread with. Just love the fact that I am eating something I grow out of a little plant, dirt and lots of love. Now, let's hear how you cook what you harvest. Yesterday I cut on eggplant into small cubes, drizzled with little olive oil and some salt and spread it on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven. When they were ready, I cut a bunch of cherry tomatoes and Anaheim pepper and added them to the eggplant. Added some feta cheese, balsamic vinegar and little salt and black pepper. Mixed all and covered and left in the fridge for an hour. This salad was amazing on toasted bread.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:35 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,416,443 times
OMG I think I have too much food! Not a whole lot, but I still have zucchini and beans to eat, and there are more out there! Zucchini bread sounds like a good option, since I don't have any meat left. Guess what I'm making tonight.

Old 07-06-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
OMG I think I have too much food! Not a whole lot, but I still have zucchini and beans to eat, and there are more out there! Zucchini bread sounds like a good option, since I don't have any meat left. Guess what I'm making tonight.
Zucchini makes a great Z, almond bread.

Nita

Old 07-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Status: "I cannot wait for the heat to break..." (set 6 days ago)

20,368 posts, read 25,504,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
I was upset when I found a few green worms in my collard greens, I cleaned them up but they did some damage. I don't want to spray anything so I have been doing the cleaning by hand, yuk

Have you tried using eggshells around your plants? I use them in my garden because I can't stand picking out slugs

Here is a quote about eggshells.
"Eggshells can be used as nontoxic pest control in your garden. Take a few eggshells and crush them. Take the broken pieces of eggshells and distribute them around your flowers and plants. The eggshells will keep snails, slugs, and cutworms away without having to implore the use of pesticides that are bad for the environment"

from here:

Reuse Your Eggshells (http://agreenliving.net/reuse-your-eggshells/ - broken link)

I picked one big zucchini and 2 yellow squash today. The zucchini is for dinner

Old 07-06-2011, 05:09 PM

16,227 posts, read 21,991,655 times
I picked a small mess of our Kentucky wonder green beans off today!
Cucumbers, and a couple of cherry tomatoes.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:05 AM

Sadly, I pulled out 1/2 of my squash this morning. I don't have a clue what happened to it. It was not squash bugs (I have dealt with them before) it wasn't animals because the squash is enclosed with a 6 ft fence, but it looked like someone had trampled on it and smashed it down, plus some of it was dead. This was only om one side, the rest of the squash garden is fine. This is very strange, but true. Anyway when I pulled it out there were a few awesome hidden squash. I think I am going to plant some cool weather produce like winter squash or something.

NIta

Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM

16,227 posts, read 21,991,655 times
Cucumbers, new pototoes, and squash.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:46 AM

6,474 posts, read 13,416,443 times
More zucchini! I still haven't made the bread, though. But I did get a recipe...baby steps.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:22 PM

It just dawned on me as I am watching the other squash bed die, it is squash bores or boars (whichever) I have had this happen before (many years ago and forgot all about them) There is just about nothing that can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or