Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2014, 08:54 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times

Advertisements

One hot pepper that I stuffed with marscapone cheese, a handful of green beans I boiled until tender and tossed with olive oil & lemon juice, one zucchini set aside to sauté with garlic for tomorrow's dinner, and a handful of raspberries I popped right in my mouth as I picked them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 10:05 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,685,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
One hot pepper that I stuffed with marscapone cheese, a handful of green beans I boiled until tender and tossed with olive oil & lemon juice, one zucchini set aside to sauté with garlic for tomorrow's dinner, and a handful of raspberries I popped right in my mouth as I picked them.
Yum, yum and YUM. So rewarding. And it's a good thing we're not nabes - I've been known to box something' FIERCE for a handful of fresh raspberries.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,261,140 times
Ooh, I'm pretty fierce, too, when it comes to raspberries. I planted three Strawberry Shortcake thornless raspberries in a raised bed earlier this year. I wasn't sure whether or not they'd be good, because reviews were mixed, but I think they are delicious! I've been getting about a dozen berries a day for a couple of weeks.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:23 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,116,551 times
I had some roma tomatoes from my one plant on a ham sandwich but my friend gave me some zukes, eggplant and some peaches. Yeah for friends.

Old 08-05-2014, 03:26 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,240,655 times
We picked about 20 pounds of tomatoes, a half dozen eggplants, some zukes and some cukes yesterday. Got a pot of tomato sauce on right now, and some of the eggplant & zuke are going in. One of the zucchini hid well; it's a three-pounder! Beans are blooming again, so looks like we'll have more soon.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:27 PM

4,168 posts, read 3,360,316 times
More yellow beans, more cherry tomatoes, and a handful of cabbage leaves.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:50 PM

477 posts, read 505,908 times
Chile de arbol. I used 3 of them in a potato curry. My son says it was not too hot, though I wondered.

We are Indian-adjacent. Our idea of "hot" may not be the average USian's idea of hot.

Old 08-05-2014, 07:42 PM

26,636 posts, read 28,433,148 times
Peas. The last of them.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:06 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,323,174 times
Wow everybody is eating some yummy things! I got some french sorrel, purple pole beans, garlic, zucchini, okra and rosemary that I baked with salmon. It was good. Leftovers will be lunch. I had some of my deformed asian pears LOL. All my organic fruit is like just deformed. I'll have to get serious again and start bagging them. The bug free bites that I got were crispy and tasty.

I'm slowly getting to see why people make jam and cider and things with their home grown fruit. One year I will definitely take a canning and preserving class. I'm not really confident about being able to safely can without taking a class.

Old 08-05-2014, 09:11 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,240,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Wow everybody is eating some yummy things! I got some french sorrel, purple pole beans, garlic, zucchini, okra and rosemary that I baked with salmon. It was good. Leftovers will be lunch. I had some of my deformed asian pears LOL. All my organic fruit is like just deformed. I'll have to get serious again and start bagging them. The bug free bites that I got were crispy and tasty.

I'm slowly getting to see why people make jam and cider and things with their home grown fruit. One year I will definitely take a canning and preserving class. I'm not really confident about being able to safely can without taking a class.
Start with water bath canning. It's easy, and there are simple instructions out there. I have the Ball canning guide, and it has ton of recipes, and step by step instructions for some things, too. Biggest things for water bath canning are - it must be acidic. You must sterilize your jars & lids, and never reuse seals. You must process in the boiling water bath for the recommended amount of time. Last year, we canned a lot of tomatoes/sauce, made pepper jelly, and canned pickles. Everything was done in a water bath canner, and everything turned out great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden