Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 06:37 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,636,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
We've been getting sweet strawberries. Just a few.
I've been getting a container of tasty strawberries, for $1.88, at Wallyworld......I put a little sugar on a few which aren't as sweet......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 09:28 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,946,618 times
We are picking about 10-12 ripe strawberries each day (this is a 4x4 raised bed). They are DELICIOUS!! Also picked a bunch of alpine strawberries that I have in with the rhubarb. I really need to pick up some broccoli & cauliflower to have in with the rhubarb (supposed to be a good companion plant).

We have 4 tomato varieties: 2 are heirlooms, 1 Early Girl, 1 Sweet 100s. They ALL are very slow in setting flowers this year (could be that we've had a month or so of rain...) Cukes & squash are also tiny with very few flowers. The expected 2 weeks of sunshine and warm temps should help some

Old 06-20-2013, 09:37 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
In my tiny tiny plot I'm getting about five strawberries a day and freezing them. When I get enough, I'll do something with them--and they are not sprayed with anything. Strawberries are on the 10 dirtiest fruit list (10? 12? whatever) so it's important to grow them yourself or you'll be eating pesticides on your berries.

Ate some Swiss chard tonight, not much though. Not much space to garden. Beet seedlings are up but they're only in a container. Two tomato plants are finally in and with the better weather predicted, maybe they'll even grow!!! I've never seen such a cooold and rainy spring.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:07 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,450,358 times
My strawberries are going crazy. I planted 3 plants and a few runners last spring. The spread over the winter and I'm picking a large bowl full every few days and freezing them.

Today, my garden is feeding me homemade carrot soup from last year's carrot crop.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:24 PM

50,369 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I got about 6 tomatoes today. We had BLTs for lunch and it seems as though I am not getting any new babies, although there are still many ripening on the vine. I should have kept better track of which plants are determinate or indeterminate. I guess I will just pull the plants out if there are no signs of any new tomatoes forming. The cilantro is toast and the dill doesn't look too hot either. Live and learn. I will still consider this year a success, because of all the tomatoes.
I will consider getting fresh plants for the fall.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:35 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,159,672 times
I'm jealous of you people with longer growing seasons!

It will be a few weeks before I get an edible tomato, even.
But I've been using the heck out of my cilantro and basil plants and this evening gave a bunch to friends.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I'm jealous of you people with longer growing seasons!

It will be a few weeks before I get an edible tomato, even.
But I've been using the heck out of my cilantro and basil plants and this evening gave a bunch to friends.
Me too. I had more kale. I boiled it with some ravioli.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:16 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I got about 6 tomatoes today. We had BLTs for lunch and it seems as though I am not getting any new babies, although there are still many ripening on the vine. I should have kept better track of which plants are determinate or indeterminate. I guess I will just pull the plants out if there are no signs of any new tomatoes forming. The cilantro is toast and the dill doesn't look too hot either. Live and learn. I will still consider this year a success, because of all the tomatoes.
I will consider getting fresh plants for the fall.
I'm starting to worry about my only tomato plant in this big pot with only 2 blooms on it no signs of any others coming along. I'll be so disappointed if I only get 2 tomatoes off of it.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:42 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
I'm starting to worry about my only tomato plant in this big pot with only 2 blooms on it no signs of any others coming along. I'll be so disappointed if I only get 2 tomatoes off of it.
How much sun is it getting? Tomatoes don't fruit very well in low-light conditions.

How big is the pot and what cultivar is it?

Those are probably the most important factors, assuming it's not water stressed.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:39 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,186,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
How much sun is it getting? Tomatoes don't fruit very well in low-light conditions.

How big is the pot and what cultivar is it?

Those are probably the most important factors, assuming it's not water stressed.
Full sun until about 5-6pm then partial shade the pot is 15-16" across and about 2-2.5' tall takes 2 people to move it or one strong young person. It is an early girl I did just find another bloom so there are actually 3 on it now (all on the same branch) and the plant is about 2' high. Watering is not an issue.

I planted the other one that came out of this pack in the ground at the other house and it is not even 6" high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden