Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 08:42 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,816,802 times

Advertisements

lol, i love when froggies go coutring. but they cna be sooo loud lol.

with the mosquitoe fish you could definatly get away with more than 4, for almost 30 gals id probably go wiht a min of 10, they fdont get very big and do like to be in larger groups
and im sure someone would take the extras off your hand (heck id take em if i was close enough lol) they do a very good job

i love the swimming ponds when they are done right they are soooo nice especially with a natural bio filtration system like the bog, would LOVE to see pictures
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 01:28 AM

3,131 posts, read 9,354,996 times
Dragonflies

Old 06-24-2011, 08:09 AM

8,307 posts, read 38,719,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Hi Foxy, you little wench, you! It turns out there are some mosquito fish native to the US...and they overwinter. The only problem is that the pet stores in my area don't seem to carry those fish. I found an online store, but I'd have to make a minimum purchase of fish...but I'm going to do it anyway. I can probably give some of the fish away... I only need maybe 4 of them...but I have to buy like 20.

Thanks for the info about the "bubbler." I know I needed something for that part of the pond, but L if I knew what it was called. I do have a bog filter. I designed the pond like swimming pond/bio pool (you can read about these if you're interested). So there's a bog area with plants and I siphon the water from the main section into that area. My design is not perfect, but I'm learning a lot about what to do with a bigger pond. I have the water lilies in the non-bog part of the pond. I also have hornwort and a couple of other native plants.

You know, I did have a frog/toad house and I had one toad...but once I put in the pond, my frog/toad decided it was time to call friends! There are three of them. I still haven't seen them, but they "court" every night. I went out to clean off the lilypads and there are what I believe are eggs underneath some of them!
Mosquito fish are a great option. They are really tough fish, will not require care and they ravenously devour mosquito larvae. I would rather do that than mosquito dunks for a hippified pond.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:55 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,589,673 times
Mosquito dunks didn't work when I used them. I have had good luck with feeder goldfish.

In my frog pond that I used to have, the tadpoles kept out the mosquito larva. They loved them.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:43 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,703,411 times
Mosquito dunks are your best bet...especially if your pond is too small for goldfish. If you don't already have an inexpensive fountain in there, I'd suggest picking up one of those. Not only does it add a wonderful sound, but it keeps the surface of the water moving, which helps to keep those horrid little buggers at bay! I love my ponds! LOL So much so that we just added a 500 gal koi pond to our large greenhouse/outdoor living room. We gave up on the koi in the outdoor pond, because critters kept getting them. They are now danger free and we can enjoy our little friends.

Old 07-16-2011, 04:12 AM

248 posts, read 753,367 times
Mosquito fish are the way to go, no poison's and bonus free fish emulision for plant food

Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 AM

45,113 posts, read 60,214,676 times
Everyone has covered what I was going to say except, the mosquitoes may not be coming from your pond. Several varieties can breed just in water collected in tree hollows and leaves.

Try the dunks, I'd put a couple goldfish in. The fish are what I have. Pond is @250 gallons. I also have a solar filter/pump.

Last edited by North Beach Person; 07-16-2011 at 06:03 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 07-16-2011, 01:53 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,359,217 times
The tip about spitter did the trick! There are still 'a few couple' larvae in the pond, but not as many as before. The lives of many fish have been spared. FoxyW wanted to see a pic of the pond, so here it is. LOL it's more of a "water garden." :P You can't really see the bog part in this pic (my new camera SUX by the way), but it has the horsetail in it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden