Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 09:39 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,954 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean, i could sit out on the deck all day and just watch them zoom in and out of the tress and up to the feeders. they spit,squeek, and dive bomb each other.Some times they will hover right in front of your face.it scared my grandaughter first time they did it to her,now she thinks its funny I would love to see your pix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Thank you for sharing your pictures. I live in a Lake subdivision very close to the woods. Not on the lake front. Our Missouri Conservation calender reminds us that next Monday the Hummers will begin their migration south. But, knowing that the Hummers cannot read, I put extra feeders out LAST Monday. Back here in the woods, we are lucky if we see 3-4 once in awhile.

I never give up tho'. A few years we have had a dozen or so. Right now, and for the last 3 days, we are so lucky. Now have that dozen!!!

I have 6 feeders out and it is amusing to watch them. Each feeder has a 'guard' it seems. And pity the poor Hummer that attempts to land on the feeder. They fly around and squeak constantly. We sit outside, even with this durn 100 degree weather lately just to observe these lovely creatures. I have a few pics, but they are on a different computer.

Thanks again for the pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 05:18 AM

153 posts, read 1,247,313 times
Fantastic photos! I live in KS and we don't get very many hummers...I miss them!

Old 08-25-2007, 12:17 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
Update: Wow, They are migrating!!! Have had way more than my usual visitors this past week or so. I think I need a control tower and someone to organize their flight patterns

Old 08-25-2007, 12:22 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
lol Northwoods
Is there any particular feeder anyone recommends?
I saw one in my petunias the other day.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:07 PM

1,309 posts, read 2,814,954 times
im so jealous! mine ! mine seemed to have all headed south or somthing. i havent seen any in days .
Cil,i have always had really good luck with the feeders shown in my earlier posts. i even bought back ups incase one gets broke. i think they are made by perky pet

Old 08-26-2007, 05:30 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Thank you granny, I will check it out.
I am glad you could understand my question.
Later I realized that my post made it sound like I saw a feeder in my petunias rather than a hummingbird.

Old 08-26-2007, 06:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,078,494 times
I have two or three who come around here but are very timid and don't always stop to eat.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:20 PM

Wink Feeder in Petunias

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Thank you granny, I will check it out.
I am glad you could understand my question.
Later I realized that my post made it sound like I saw a feeder in my petunias rather than a hummingbird.
Well sure, that might be a good place to put one..

Personally I prefer the glass feeders. Even tho' a raccoon or two has in the past climbed onto whatever the feeder is dangling from and knocked the feeder down and the feeder has broken. The glass ones are easier to keep clean.

Have read information suggesting to not use feeders with the yellow flowers on them.. seems to attract more than it's share of bees. Earlier in the year had many Baltimore Orioles come around, so bought a feeder in the shape of a large orange with 3 perches. Birds loved it. Even the woodpeckers

Today the hummers are as active as ever. I know they will be leaving within 3-4 weeks from this area it will be a sad thing.

Good luck on finding the right feeders.

Old 08-26-2007, 02:34 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
In our area of N. Idaho the hummingbirds arrive around April, maybe May and need to be leaving around the end of Aug. to safely make it south for the winter. At first sighting in the spring I whip out the hummingbird feeders (I have 5 at this time, 2 lg. ones and 3 medium) and cook up a solution of sugar and water. (you do not need to have any red coloring to the water, the red on the feeder itself is enough to attrack the hummers). I had a ton of hummingbirds this year, I would guess 30-40. At the peak of the season after the babies hatch I have to refill my feeders every other day. I enjoy them all spring and summer! Come around mid-Aug. I stop feeding them. By then I have flowers in my yard they get nectar from. The weather cools at night around that time and slowly but surely they begin leaving for their long trip south. I miss them but look forward to the next spring!

One thing I have never understood...usually about 3-4 weeks after they arrive they begin nesting and sitting on eggs. There is a period of time every single year where I almost never see one hummer at my feeders. Anytime before that or after they are there constantly. I do not even see them flitting around the yard, and it is too early for flowers. How do they survive during that time and why to they stop coming to the feeders and what and where do they eat?

Old 09-09-2007, 08:42 PM

Well, for the last week now, there have been close to 30 or so Hummers at my feeders. My flowers just about died from the drought that we had so I have kept the feeders out. The Hummers should be here for another 2-3 weeks according to the Missouri Conservation calender . So I will keep my feeders filled. Now have 8 feeders out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden