Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 11:20 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,401,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Awesome, Gimme some of that banana bread while I think this out. OK based on your pic where exactly do you want to put new plants?

I hope your not talking about knocking down the cherry or maple trees. those are both beautiful trees.

If that is your plan, I would first recommend heavy pruning to maintain those gorgeous trees. Obviously if it is a structural issue for your foundation or house I guess I can understand the need to remove them.

I get back to you on my recommendations after I think about it.
Hey BD they ARE beautiful, aren't they? The maple turns a gorgeous red in fall. It is amazing.

I Don't want to get rid of them, but I read that the Red Maple will get 50 feet high. It is like 6 feet from the house. I think the cherry (which is lovely in Spring) will look strange by itself...but I wasn't committed to cutting it down.

I can prune the cherry, but how can I prune the maple to keep it from becoming a monster? Honestly, I think it is already a little too tall...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 11:18 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
For an evergreen shrub, I would plant a couple of sprigs of rosemary, they will grow to about the size of boxwoods but smell a lot better. I'd do two sprigs planted about 4 ft apart. My .02

Old 07-18-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
For an evergreen shrub, I would plant a couple of sprigs of rosemary, they will grow to about the size of boxwoods but smell a lot better. I'd do two sprigs planted about 4 ft apart. My .02
I would LOVE to plant Rosemary. Maybe one day when I move to NC...heh heh heh Sadly, the winter seems to kill them in my area.

Old 07-20-2011, 07:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Hey Kinky- LOL I luv that.

Is that a standard Acer rubrum (Var.), if so what variety or is it a Acer palmatum (Japanese maple).

Dont worry still thinking about your yard there, just got really busy here over the last week.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Hey Kinky- LOL I luv that.

Is that a standard Acer rubrum (Var.), if so what variety or is it a Acer palmatum (Japanese maple).

Dont worry still thinking about your yard there, just got really busy here over the last week.
It is a native red maple (acer rubrum), but I'm not sure of the variety. If you point me to some info, I can try to look it up. It is freaking gorgeous and I try to throw the seeds in the woods. I also transplanted one of the babies. Currently it is about 25 feet high, I'm guessing.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
It is a native red maple (acer rubrum), but I'm not sure of the variety. If you point me to some info, I can try to look it up. It is freaking gorgeous and I try to throw the seeds in the woods. I also transplanted one of the babies. Currently it is about 25 feet high, I'm guessing.
Well its would be really hard to guess what the variety was unless you were a Arborist who really good at taxonomy. Even then there can be so much hybridization amoungst varieties it can be tough. So unless who ever planted it let you know its not worth wasting your time.

The biggest concern for the maple would be the limbs damaging your roof and siding before it matures and grows tall enough to clear the roof line.

If it is closer than ten feet then I would probably chop it down and get a 24 inch box "Red Sunset" or "October Glory" to replace it further out in the yard. Like that nice grassy area on the right side of your picture.

If that is not an option then I would just put in a Japanese maple variety that you like in its place. That is a perfect spot for one.

Do you really like the Cherry?

Old 07-20-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Well its would be really hard to guess what the variety was unless you were a Arborist who really good at taxonomy. Even then there can be so much hybridization amoungst varieties it can be tough. So unless who ever planted it let you know its not worth wasting your time.

The biggest concern for the maple would be the limbs damaging your roof and siding before it matures and grows tall enough to clear the roof line.

If it is closer than ten feet then I would probably chop it down and get a 24 inch box "Red Sunset" or "October Glory" to replace it further out in the yard. Like that nice grassy area on the right side of your picture.

If that is not an option then I would just put in a Japanese maple variety that you like in its place. That is a perfect spot for one.

Do you really like the Cherry?
I LOVE the blossoms on the cherry in the Spring. It is also cool to force the buds indoors in the early Spring. But to be honest, I'm conflicted. The cherry blocks the window and has tons of "volunteers" every year. I personally would not have put either tree in their current locations.

I think a Japanese maple would look great w the style of house (as long as there's no chance if it's escaping into the woods nearby and messin' with the native maples). What do you think about some evergreens? Winter's kind of brutal here (and the locusts have started to dry up already, so I predict another rough year) and I feel happy seeing some green during the winter months.

I'm not sure what a 24 inch box is; could you explain? Also, pls keep the tips coming.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Quote:
I LOVE the blossoms on the cherry in the Spring. It is also cool to force the buds indoors in the early Spring. But to be honest, I'm conflicted. The cherry blocks the window and has tons of "volunteers" every year. I personally would not have put either tree in their current locations.

I think a Japanese maple would look great w the style of house (as long as there's no chance if it's escaping into the woods nearby and messin' with the native maples). What do you think about some evergreens? Winter's kind of brutal here (and the locusts have started to dry up already, so I predict another rough year) and I feel happy seeing some green during the winter months.

I'm not sure what a 24 inch box is; could you explain? Also, pls keep the tips coming.

Many varieties of Japanese maple that should not "escape" as you call it. LOL a 24 inch box is in reference to the size of the container of the tree when purchased. 24inch boxes trees are much larger and more mature. Thus when planted create an immediate effect. Much larger trees are available but a fairly cost prohibitive and usually unmanageable by the average homeowner to plant.

I would keep the cherry and just prune it to my liking every year.

Here are some suggestions for evergreens: variegated euonymus, Jacobs ladder, lavender, heather, red tipped photinia are some that have come to mind based on your pictures. Have you perused your favorite nursery yet?

Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 AM

I've visited the nurseries, but not in the past couple of months. I'll stop by in Fall, but I found it pays to do my homework before I go. I was thinking about some dwarf arborvitae, and some of the lower-growing junipers.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I've visited the nurseries, but not in the past couple of months. I'll stop by in Fall, but I found it pays to do my homework before I go. I was thinking about some dwarf arborvitae, and some of the lower-growing junipers.
Thujas and junipers are definately evergreen. Not what I would recommend for your yard based on your pictures. However they would create an interesting eclectic mix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden