U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 05:57 PM

1,752 posts, read 1,900,515 times

Advertisements

I just moved into a new house with lots of huge trees and bushes and lovely landscaping. I'm in NC.

I'm trying to encourage birds, especially those that eat mosquitoes (I just ordered a bat box) I was looking at various types of nesting boxes when I realized that it may be too late in the season to attract new neighbors to build nests.

Should I just concentrate on putting out feed, then? But if they eat birdseed, would they want to eat mosquitoes? I could plant bushes that attract them as well, but we are having a drought so planting is not the best idea right now. I could put out bird baths, but that would give more places for mosquitoes to grow. I'm so confused!

I want hungry homeless mosquito eating birds to come my way! How do I make that happen at the end of July?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 06:13 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,801,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I just moved into a new house with lots of huge trees and bushes and lovely landscaping. I'm in NC.

I'm trying to encourage birds, especially those that eat mosquitoes (I just ordered a bat box) I was looking at various types of nesting boxes when I realized that it may be too late in the season to attract new neighbors to build nests.

Should I just concentrate on putting out feed, then? But if they eat birdseed, would they want to eat mosquitoes? I could plant bushes that attract them as well, but we are having a drought so planting is not the best idea right now. I could put out bird baths, but that would give more places for mosquitoes to grow. I'm so confused!

I want hungry homeless mosquito eating birds to come my way! How do I make that happen at the end of July?
I have not idea but let me tell you what has happened to my backyard. I dug up a small pond a couple of years ago 3x2 depth and placed 33 cent goldfish in it and planted water loving plants around it. That first year it attracted toads, dragonflies and the fish at the larvae of the mosquito; all helped in reducing the mosquitio population. This year because of the drought more birds are hanging around now so I guess they too are helping with the mosquitos.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:21 AM

706 posts, read 579,327 times
Oh yah, the best one to get into your garden or backyard is a dragonfly. If there is a place with a lot of moisture, dragonflies will put their eggs into the water, as well as mosquitoes. The dragonfly larvae will eat the mosquito larvae and anything else that enter the water.

Other good bugs to get is a praying mantis. They eat any kind of larvae.

You can actually get praying mantis eggs and lay them out in your backyard. You can do the same with ladybugs and butterflies. Each one will kill larvae.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:10 AM

12,528 posts, read 12,781,337 times
Forget the birds and get one of these. It's the only thing I've witnessed that works.
Blue Rhino - Effective, Easy & Affordable

Old 07-21-2011, 02:39 PM

885 posts, read 757,745 times
We have many fewer mosquitoes and many more birds, dragonflies, and butterflies since we put out 3 scattered large copper birdbaths (as opposed our old single cement bath) -refreshed daily at least, stopped spraying any chemicals whatsoever, and planted a large dense NATIVE perennial border including vines and shrubs - it's about 50% of the property.

I have no other bird "equipment" like boxes or feeding stations.

Now that we've stopped crashing around in the landscaping there are nests and spiders and things in there.

Several herbal plants like mints and lavenders are insect repellent and they are often planted around decks and patios; I have thyme planted at my patio it is pungent underfoot but I don't know if the cumulative repellent effect is too great.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:52 PM

1,963 posts, read 2,849,142 times
Birds in general don't eat many mosquitoes. They are too fast and don't land anywhere for any length of time. I think hummingbirds eat the most. At least that is what they tell us here on the West Coast. Bats eat quite a few flying insects at night when the mosquitoes are out.

I can tell you this much. We have a lot of bats, a lot of hummingbirds, and we still have a lot of mosquitoes here.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM

3,236 posts, read 3,917,688 times
Quote:

Grow mosquitoes!

Old 07-21-2011, 03:50 PM

7,758 posts, read 10,915,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusqueHappy View Post
Several herbal plants like mints and lavenders are insect repellent and they are often planted around decks and patios; I have thyme planted at my patio it is pungent underfoot but I don't know if the cumulative repellent effect is too great.

Lemon balm will also help! You can crush some leaves and rub them on your arms and legs...

Old 07-21-2011, 03:57 PM

15,378 posts, read 23,317,312 times
Quote:

Sit out in the back yard and make a sound like a mosquito?????

Old 07-21-2011, 04:16 PM

38,757 posts, read 39,394,772 times
The most voracious mosquito-eating birds are Purple Martins. They nest in colonial boxes, the big ones with at least eight separate compartments with separate holes.

They are not automatic, all you can do is put up a Martin House and hope. It helps if there is already an established colony somewhere within a couple of blocks, because if they are breeding successfully and have surviving young, they will need to expand to new boxes.

It is VERY important to have your Martin House in open space, with at least 20 feet of soaring space all around it, unobstructed by trees or buildings. It should be at least 12 feet above the ground. Wires are no problem, they love to perch on wires through the day, and they're pretty noisy, with a not-very-musical call.

If sparrows or starling show too much interest, you can deter them by putting a fake snake up on the ledge of the house. Martins don't know anything about snakes, because they never land on the ground, so have acquired no fear of snakes.

If you are successful in attracting a colony of Martins, you will be amazed at how mosquito-free your yard will be. Once you have them, they will keep coming back year after year.

Don't forget to check frequently around your house, and make sure there is no place where mosquitoes can breed. Remove any objects that can hold standing water when it rains, like bottles or tires or building materials. If you can't remove them, put a few drops of motor oil in the water---mosquoto larvae can't grow in an oil slick.

Last edited by jtur88; 07-21-2011 at 04:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden