U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 02:24 PM

2,958 posts, read 11,356,527 times

Advertisements

Surprising list of poisonous plants.

Top 10 Dangerous Plants

1. Water hemlock
2. Daphne
3. Angel's trumpet
4. Oleander
5. Castor
6. Hydrangea
7. Rosary pea
8. Rhododendron
9. Bushman's poison
10. Chokecherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 02:51 PM

After reading about the Top Ten, I started looking around at other poisonous plant lists and bumped into this very comprehensive listing,

Garden Plants Poisonous To People
http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/ass...-to-people.pdf

I work around a lot of these plants all the time (don't eat them though), and I've never noticed any kind of ill affect. Just last week I cut down a forest of 10 foot tall foxglove that had finished flowering and hauled them off to the compost. No problem. We have oodles of helebores and hydrangeas and I'm frequently pruning and digging them, no problems.

Huh. Well I guess it's too late for me to start worrying now....must have an iron constitution.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:28 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,953,866 times
I actually am kind of into studying which plants are poisonous versus the edible ones. Some toxic plants are medicinal in small doses...lol but not some of the ones you listed. A couple of other ones I take care not to plant and/or actively YANK up when I see them are "siberian squill" and crow poison. Poisonous plants may not kill you, but it's good to know what's what.

In some cases (except oleander and stuff...I think oleander is majorly poisonous) you need a fairly high dose to be killed. Or it is good if you ever want to make your own poison...LOL Bubble bubble toil and trouble...

Yews are also extremely poisonous...but I tasted the red "arils" when I was a kid. The seeds and greenery are extremely toxic. I planted them because it is difficult to find evergreens for shade. Ginko seeds are eaten in a lot of countries, but too many can be toxic to children. I think as little as 5 may be toxic to a child...I believe vitamin b is an antidote in case of poisoning.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:44 PM

560 posts, read 1,109,785 times
Giant Hogweed seems pretty bad, too-
Giant Hogweed -- Do Not Touch This Plant!

Giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) is a Federally listed noxious weed. Its sap, in combination with moisture and sunlight, can cause severe skin and eye irritation, painful blistering, permanent scarring and blindness. ..

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

Old 08-06-2011, 04:11 PM

39,548 posts, read 47,744,756 times
Oleanders contain a toxin called Cardenolide Glycosides. The toxin is mostly contained in the sap which is clear to slightly milky colored, and sticky. When ingested in certain quatities, this toxin can cause harm - and possibly death. The extremely bitter and nauseating taste of the sap (much like a rotten lemon) causes a mechanical reflex in the stomach which rejects and expels the vile substance. Although not impossible, a person or animal would have to have a strong stomach or no sense of taste for a dose of the toxin to be fatal.

What can I do to avoid the a possible poisoning when working with Oleanders? Wash hands (and arms) thoroughly when finished working with the plant. Do not chew on any part of the plant. And do NOT use it as a skewer for food (or as a toothpick!).

Are the fumes from burning Oleanders hazardous? Yes! The fumes from a burning Oleander is still very hazardous. Steer clear of the fumes and NEVER use the branches as firewood!

toxic

Old 08-06-2011, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Giant Hogweed seems pretty bad, too-
Giant Hogweed -- Do Not Touch This Plant!

Giant hogweed (Heracleum mantegazzianum) is a Federally listed noxious weed. Its sap, in combination with moisture and sunlight, can cause severe skin and eye irritation, painful blistering, permanent scarring and blindness. ..

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/39809.html

Gratefully, I've never gardened anywhere giant hogweed grows, but I remember seeing tremendous thickets of hogweed in Europe by the roadside and didn't know what they were. I marveled at the enormous size of the plants and their huge leaves and humongus flowerheads and had no idea what an evil plant it was, never seen it before. And I suppose due to its extreme toxicity it grows in such thickets because it can't be removed by hand. I would suppose that it can only be safely eradicated by spraying with herbicides.

Very very nasty customer, giant hogweed.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:40 PM

983 posts, read 2,177,919 times
This is a very interesting thread. I had Oleander bushes in my previous house, started them for little plants and they grow pretty fast and were very hardy, looked really nice and no bugs were eating them. I think all of the plants on the list could be used as long people don't eat them, which I don't see why would anyone do that.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:46 PM

700 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Default Kidding right???

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post

Very very nasty customer, giant hogweed.
"Audrey Jr." Now that is a dangerous plant!!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,722,131 times
I am also careful about toxic plants for cats and dogs, as I have had both in my yard.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM

2,063 posts, read 6,519,650 times
Thanks for both links Azoria. It's nice to see them all in one place as a reminder. Most plants on the lists will only make you ill (or worse) if you ingest parts of them so I'm sure all the exposure you have had has been safe. Very often the plants with milky sap are skin irritating, and for some people it can be serious while others don't have much reaction. If I know a plant has that kind of sap I always wear gloves to deadhead or cut them down to lower chances of a reaction.

Happehart I'm sure you would be careful, and probably don't eat randomly from your garden, but children and pets certainly are more curious and adventuresome and some would try the berries or pretty leaves. I can't tell you how often I've heard someone (adult) say they tasted a berry, one that they had no idea if it was edible or not. There are several plants that have berries that look just like blueberries but are extremely poisonous. Others are able to cause a pretty strong stomach upset when they are green, but are safe when fully ripe. There are others that can be eaten after cooking but are dangerous in the raw. Teenagers are notorious for trying things on dares or because their friends tell them something is "just like weed" and wind up in the emergency room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or