Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 36,140 times

Advertisements

I have been using a lawn service for the past few months in an attempt to restore the lawn that was neglected by the previous home owner. They have been able to remove most of the bigger weeds and clover in the lawn, however, with the limited amount of grass established crab grass has taken over (80% of the lawn). Next month, I am scheduled to have the lawn aerated and over seeded. Will this process do much considering the amount of crab grass established? Would it be wise to cancel the service and just spend the extra money and apply roundup and reseed the lawn?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,137 times
Use roundup now
wait 2 weeks
rake out dead crap
let them aerate and overseed a week or so later

Old 08-19-2011, 09:54 AM

148 posts, read 676,781 times
Kill everything you want dead now, before the weeds go dormant. Then aerate, heavily overseed, fertilize, and probably even apply lime sometime right after Labor Day. With the right product and right amount of watering it will come back fine.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
I agree with the other posters. Start killing the crabgrass now. Wait until about mid-end of September and rake up dead stuff, aerate, fertilize, overseed and water!

Old 08-19-2011, 10:08 AM

621 posts, read 2,218,467 times
Does anyone know how much a job like this would cost to have done?

Old 08-19-2011, 01:13 PM

351 posts, read 632,663 times
Few points to add.

1. You spray Round-Up now, it'll be dead in a few days. That gives it time to come back with new crabgrass before September.

2. Weeds like crabgrass don't go dormant for the winter. They die. Its their "children" that come back next season (seeds).

3. You can overseed within minutes of applying Round-Up. It does nothing to the soil so don't let that dictate when you spray and when you overseed fescue.

4. Don't guess on the limestone part. Get a soil sample done. Limestone takes a good six months to fully do its thing so waiting an extra month or two is no big deal.

5. How much sun or shade do you have? In other words, why did your fescue lawn die off to begin with? Do you have irrigation? I've done more bermudagrass overseedings this year than I've ever done before. "If you can't beat'em, join'em."

Old 08-20-2011, 04:21 AM

842 posts, read 2,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
Does anyone know how much a job like this would cost to have done?
Free if you do it yourself

Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
5. How much sun or shade do you have? In other words, why did your fescue lawn die off to begin with? Do you have irrigation? I've done more bermudagrass overseedings this year than I've ever done before. "If you can't beat'em, join'em."
I thought about joining suit with some of my neigbors and switching to fescue but after a summer like this --- my bermudagrass is happy happy happy and everyone's fescue is a brown mess full of weeds. If I want winter green I can always overseed with Rye.

But Bermuda does not like shade - putting a different groundcover in a shaded area . Still too hot for fescue to really be happy.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 PM

351 posts, read 632,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
I thought about joining suit with some of my neigbors and switching to fescue but after a summer like this --- my bermudagrass is happy happy happy and everyone's fescue is a brown mess full of weeds. If I want winter green I can always overseed with Rye.

But Bermuda does not like shade - putting a different groundcover in a shaded area . Still too hot for fescue to really be happy.
Mix a little zoysia in the shady areas. That should do better than the bermuda in the shade but will still love the summer heat.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
Caapex,
Just pay the pros to aerate and reseed the lawn.
Just don't forget to water it real good and mow when you are suppose to.
Crab grass will be dying soon, it is an annual and dies in the fall, when your
newly seeded lawn will b growing.
In the spring, around St. Patty's day, have the lawn service put a PRE EMERgenT
down, so the crab grass seeds don't sprout for next year.
No need for Round up.
The weeds are going to be dying anyway.
Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden