U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-01-2011, 11:06 AM

12,813 posts, read 8,924,780 times

Advertisements

I have been using "Bayer - insect control + fertilizer (spikes)" in the soil of my Sago palm - which is an indoor plant since July.

I still see an infestation.

Is there anything I can spray on the plant to get rid of the cotton candy-like fluff stuff that's showing up on the fronds?

The Bayer stuff isn't working at all.

Any tips?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2011, 11:10 AM

7,631 posts, read 10,857,106 times
Try some Bonide Neem.

Old 09-01-2011, 11:25 AM
B4U

3,563 posts, read 4,093,679 times
Check out this site for your questions:
(good luck to ya)

Sago Palms
Sago palms are popular (and expensive) landscape plants here in Florida. The sago's rough brown trunk and tuft of dark green fronds have deceived many people into thinking it is a palm tree. It really isn't.
It's a cycad...

Growing Sago Palms
Growing Sago palms from seed requires patience but Cycas revoluta sex is an interesting process to watch.

Transplanting Sago Palms
Transplanting Sago palms is less risky than moving true palms (sagos are cycads) as they are less sensitive to root disturbance. Like a true palm, they do tend to go into transplant shock after a move. With a little extra attention they soon bounce back.

The most common question people have with regard to Sago palm care is, "What is that white powder on my sago palms ?"

That white powder coating the fronds of your Sago palm tree is a bad case of Asian or Sago palm scale. This is a very difficult insect pest to get rid of once it has got a foot hold on a palm tree.

Sago Palm Disease
Sago palm disease will tell you how to treat a tree suffering from an Asian scale infestation. Yellowing and other problems are also addressed.

Old 09-01-2011, 02:44 PM

12,813 posts, read 8,924,780 times
Thanks for the info.

I have a pretty nasty infestation of scale. I just scrubbed the fronds pretty clean with a toothbrush dipped in hot water, dissolved one of the spikes in water, then scrubbed the leaves with the solution and put new spikes in the dirt.

We'll see what happens in a week. May be a lost cause.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:26 AM

8,956 posts, read 16,176,226 times
Try growing Dioon edule instead of Sago, they're more resistant to scale.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:13 AM

2,638 posts, read 6,059,989 times
I can't tell where you are from your location. If this plant came from or has been outside in Florida for any length of time, chances are it is indeed that horrible asian cycad scale mentioned above. You need a strong systemic, reapplied several times, to clear an infestation. The University of Florida has developed a methodology to kill this stuff. This link below may be helpful, it shows pics of various sago pests and recommends control methods.

http://cfextension.ifas.ufl.edu/documents/Sago.pdf

Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 AM

1 posts, read 11,758 times
The information is very interesting. Thanks for sharing the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden