Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:17 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,400,319 times

Advertisements

After hybernating through the blast furnace, extreme drought summer we have experienced this year in Houston, we are finally able to start addressing our landscaping projects again.

Biggest one on our list is getting some sort of weed barrier down in our many planting beds. (I think the only things that thrive in a Texas drought are the weeds!) For around the house we were planning on using landscape barrier mesh topped with a thin layer of fine shred mulch. For the fence line beds, we thought to use a thicker layer of courser mulch.

Our concern...termites!

We are in an area that has a huge problem with them. We have taken all the chemical precautions we can and also have termite stations all around the house that are monitored by a pest company. Still, we don't want to do anything that will encourage them into our house. So... I'm open to suggestions. If you don't advise using mulch, please suggest an alternative (no gravel or rock though, its not approved by our POA).

Also, can anyone suggest the best mulch to use in a termite area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2011, 04:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,597,735 times
You can try the rubber mulch but I doubt it's good for the environment. I use Texas cedar with a layer of thick cardboard underneath with weedblocker underneath the cardboard. And as Fall sets in, you can add the shedding leaves into it also. Rarely does any living plants get tossed in the trash; it either becomes compost, fire starter or mulch. But if you had professional do your termite treatment I wouldn't worry about it

Old 09-06-2011, 07:23 AM

2,063 posts, read 7,777,312 times
What I have heard is that Cypress heartwood mulch is the most termite resistant natural mulch. I've also heard the claim that aged mulches (cedar and cypress) work better as well but have never seen anything scientific to back it up. (Here's an example for a place in Texas: Product Descriptions ) Whatever you use you will need to keep space between your foundation and the mulch around the home. Around fence lines.... I just wouldn't know what would help keep them at bay since anything that retains moisture would make it more hospitable for them to set up shop. Sure wish I had a better answer for such a nasty problem.

Old 09-12-2011, 07:15 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Biggest one on our list is getting some sort of weed barrier down in our many planting beds. (I think the only things that thrive in a Texas drought are the weeds!) For around the house we were planning on using landscape barrier mesh topped with a thin layer of fine shred mulch. For the fence line beds, we thought to use a thicker layer of courser mulch.

Thanks!
That landscaping fabric/mesh weed barrier is pretty much useless, and more of a problem than a help, imo. Weeds are airborne 99% of the time, so the "barrier" doesn't do anything after the first year. It actually prevents nutrients and water from getting down to the roots. Lord help you if you ever want to dig a hole, and that barrier is between you and the soil. Do yourself a big favor and don't use it. It's a waste of time and money. If any professional recommends putting it down, they are scamming you.

Sorry, I'm not much help with the mulch...

Old 09-13-2011, 07:23 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
Quote:
After hybernating through the blast furnace, extreme drought summer we have experienced this year in Houston, we are finally able to start addressing our landscaping projects again.

Our concern...termites!

We are in an area that has a huge problem with them. We have taken all the chemical precautions we can and also have termite stations all around the house that are monitored by a pest company. Still, we don't want to do anything that will encourage them into our house. So... I'm open to suggestions. If you don't advise using mulch, please suggest an alternative (no gravel or rock though, its not approved by our POA).

Also, can anyone suggest the best mulch to use in a termite area?

Thanks!
How about brown lava mulch?

Old 09-13-2011, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
That landscaping fabric/mesh weed barrier is pretty much useless, and more of a problem than a help, imo. Weeds are airborne 99% of the time, so the "barrier" doesn't do anything after the first year. It actually prevents nutrients and water from getting down to the roots. Lord help you if you ever want to dig a hole, and that barrier is between you and the soil. Do yourself a big favor and don't use it. It's a waste of time and money. If any professional recommends putting it down, they are scamming you.

Sorry, I'm not much help with the mulch...
I really appreciate the response. We have used the mesh with great success here in Houston. Weeds grow down here pretty much year round. The mesh has definately made a difference for us and cuts weeding down to a few minutes a month. Holes are easy to cut. Using a sharp knife, "X" marks the spot! You then peel back & plant in the hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
How about brown lava mulch?
Not sure what that is. Is it actually mulch or is it a type of rock? Our POA will not allow any form of rock in the front gardens

Old 09-14-2011, 08:44 PM

560 posts, read 1,291,065 times
Quote:
I really appreciate the response. We have used the mesh with great success here in Houston. Weeds grow down here pretty much year round. The mesh has definately made a difference for us and cuts weeding down to a few minutes a month. Holes are easy to cut. Using a sharp knife, "X" marks the spot! You then peel back & plant in the hole.

Not sure what that is. Is it actually mulch or is it a type of rock? Our POA will not allow any form of rock in the front gardens

Sorry, I missed that about your POA. Possibly they would give you a waiver for the area right up against your house?

Old 09-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
Sorry, I missed that about your POA. Possibly they would give you a waiver for the area right up against your house?
No unfortunately all of us in the area are in the same fix. I also should mention the style of my home is French Provincial. Lava rock wouldn't look good in the beds. I think I will probably just have our pest company do an additional treatment around the slab and use fine shred mulch. Thanks all!

Old 09-15-2011, 10:39 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
No unfortunately all of us in the area are in the same fix. I also should mention the style of my home is French Provincial. Lava rock wouldn't look good in the beds. I think I will probably just have our pest company do an additional treatment around the slab and use fine shred mulch. Thanks all!
I live in Georgia, and the saying here is that there are two kinds of houses with respect to termites: those that have had them and those that will have them.

Protecting Your Home Against Termites | University of Kentucky Entomology

Apparently the problem with mulch is its moisture retaining property. Termites don't really eat it. So even stone would not be a deterrent.

Your pest control company is unlikely to want to do additional treatment without evidence of an active infestation.unless the soil that has been already treated was disturbed in a major way, such as during a major landscape redo. If the bait stations are being monitored properly, you should have good protection.

Do not store firewood in or near the house and remove any dead wood, such as dropped limbs.

Make sure water is appropriately diverted away from the foundation.

Old 09-15-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I live in Georgia, and the saying here is that there are two kinds of houses with respect to termites: those that have had them and those that will have them.

Protecting Your Home Against Termites | University of Kentucky Entomology

Apparently the problem with mulch is its moisture retaining property. Termites don't really eat it. So even stone would not be a deterrent.

Your pest control company is unlikely to want to do additional treatment without evidence of an active infestation.unless the soil that has been already treated was disturbed in a major way, such as during a major landscape redo. If the bait stations are being monitored properly, you should have good protection.

Do not store firewood in or near the house and remove any dead wood, such as dropped limbs.

Make sure water is appropriately diverted away from the foundation.
LOL - I appreciate the advise - I really do but I just had to chuckle about these two comments. As I type, its 93 degrees outside heading for a high of 97 today. Our use of firewood is limited to about 3 pieces of wood per year, if that. Also...we actively water our foundations around here. We have to if we want to keep them from cracking. There has been only about 2 inches of rain here in the last 5 months. I think its now being called the worst drought in Texas history! However - I do appreciate the info - Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden