U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 02:35 PM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
It's in the 60s today, amazing, we were in the 90s yesterday. I cleaned one big pot and put some radishes seeds in it. My first time to try them, so we'll see how it goes. My tomatoes still going strong, lots of greens but they take their sweet time to ripen. I guess some fried green tomatoes are in my future :-) been picking a few okras every other day, dump them in a bag in the freezer till I have enough to make a meal out of them.
I have read in one of my preserving books they are really easy to freeze for winter but haven't tried it yet. Has anyone else every frozen okra? I think, according to my book they just need to be blanched for a couple of minutes.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 06:50 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
The fall is always the biggest gardening time for me. I love big perennial beds and the best time to put them in is now. I just bought this house last Dec. The entire back yard is a faux Japenese garden and is really full of plants. The prblem is that the people who planted this garden didnt plan for a succession of blooms. I had lots in the spring and early summer and lots now but almost nothing in between.

One of the reasons I love fall gardening is the cost of plant material is just so inexpensive. In the last week I bought almost $600 retail price of plants for $42. The home depot had already put everything on at 75% off and then reduced everything they have an additional 90%. It's like getting the stuff for free and I got some great plants. I've spent the last few days moving existing plants and putting in all the new ones. It's been about 68F every day and just great gardening weather. The only thing I have not found that I want is an everblooming bush rose for a 5 by 5 area I have. I have 5 big paper garden bags full of prunings at the curb already and garbage day is Wed.

Old 09-16-2011, 09:22 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,135,943 times
Just to continue with my previous post.

In the north big box stores that sell plants have no choice but to clear them out when winter approaches. Most of the perennials I bought are big clumps in 2 gallon pots. They were originally $25-$30 a pot. When they reduce that 75% and then another 90% it makes those big pots less than $1 a piece. I have built quite a few big gardens with these almost free plants. Most of these stores clearing out their plants will have mostly really common types of plants and there is nothing wrong with that. I notice that these same common plants are almost always in the really good botanical gardens so that alone makes them OK. What I always do is to build the garden using these fairly common plants and then plant maybe 3 or four really special unusual ones that I have to go to a nursery to get. I notice though that as time goes on the big box stores are getting more and more up to date stock and I have been very happy with some of the things I have found. This week I got 9 big ferns of three different types that I was not familiar with. I bought 10 really tiny bell flowers to put around my little pond. They only grow 4 inches high. I got a really nice Japanese maple for my front yard for $9. I dug up a mulberry tree that was making a big mess with all the berries dropping all over the place. I put it out at the curb with a "free" sign on it and it was gone in 30 minutes. As soon as the leaves fall I'm going to move 2 huge clamatis. I don't know how that will go. I've never moved one before but they can't stay where they are so that's that. I got a great hedge trimmer at a garage sale for $5 the other day. It works great. My old one needed sharpenng and that's $20. I'll take the old one to the thrift store.

Gardening is a great hobby isn't it. It keeps you young and limber, working out there creating a beautiful thing.

Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 AM

983 posts, read 2,103,009 times
Wow Lucknow, I can visualize your garden and wish if I live close to visit. I really would love to travel around the US and see what people do in their gardens. Maybe I can do that for a living, be a gardener helper for a while then have my own big garden filled with all the knowledge that I will gain from everyone. Gardening is a new hobby for me and if you asked me 10 year ago no way gardening would have been something I said I enjoy doing. Enjoy the fall and hope you would post some pics of all the plants you added.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Wow Lucknow, I can visualize your garden and wish if I live close to visit. I really would love to travel around the US and see what people do in their gardens. Maybe I can do that for a living, be a gardener helper for a while then have my own big garden filled with all the knowledge that I will gain from everyone. Gardening is a new hobby for me and if you asked me 10 year ago no way gardening would have been something I said I enjoy doing. Enjoy the fall and hope you would post some pics of all the plants you added.
you sound like my daughter, she would never have thought about growing anything edible or really much of anything. Now, she is excited about moving to NWA (soon we hope) and next year plans on having a garden. This year she did do the hanging tomoto thing and it worked some, plus she had a small herb garden. It is amazing how adding a few years onto our lives make changes in what we enjoy!!!

NIta

Old 09-17-2011, 10:30 AM

7,088 posts, read 12,698,087 times
What did you do in your garden today?

Am waiting for my farmer friend to come by and plow it under.

Old 09-17-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

Don't cry, next spring will get here before you know it...

Old 09-17-2011, 01:24 PM

Quote:
It's in the 60s today, amazing, we were in the 90s yesterday. I cleaned one big pot and put some radishes seeds in it. My first time to try them, so we'll see how it goes. My tomatoes still going strong, lots of greens but they take their sweet time to ripen. I guess some fried green tomatoes are in my future :-) been picking a few okras every other day, dump them in a bag in the freezer till I have enough to make a meal out of them.
I just read some suggestions on freezing it: if you plan to use it in say a week or so it will be fine just frozen, but if you are planning on using it say, in a month or the middle of winter than it has to be blanched for a few minutes.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post

Yeah, my friend's dad is going to help me prepare a one of the beds this week. Not sure what I will plant in it yet, but I will have it ready and then decide. It's always fun to just put something in the ground and see what it will do.

Old 09-17-2011, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you sound like my daughter, she would never have thought about growing anything edible or really much of anything. Now, she is excited about moving to NWA (soon we hope) and next year plans on having a garden. This year she did do the hanging tomoto thing and it worked some, plus she had a small herb garden. It is amazing how adding a few years onto our lives make changes in what we enjoy!!!

NIta
I totally understand. My next house will have a big yard, no more small yards for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or