U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 06:23 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,418,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fields of Green View Post
I hand pollinated my "Spooktacular" variety of pumpkin. Lots of male flowers, very few female, along with heavy rains a few weeks ago that may have washed away the pollen so the bees couldn't do their thing. I've been getting lots of little pumpkins that grow to the size of a ping pong ball and then cleanly drop off the vine (even with support) and a little research suggests its lack of pollination.

Do my yellow zucchini need help with pollination? Zucchini are so prolific I'm thinking not...

I also heavily thinned my young Asian Pear tree of baby Asian pears... probably should thin the crop further oh but murder is so hard. ;-P
I adore seeing pumpkins in the Fall...and eating pumpkin/squash soup in the winter. Mmmmm. Hopefully you'll get several lovely ones.

You are correct about the pollination. I always help my cucurbits along because the insects don't always do a great job and I looove squash! Unless you planted the zukes in a field of flowers, I'd hand-pollinate those as well for a while.

I got two Asian pears a couple of years ago...and my first year after all the yummy fruit were ripe...a critter climbed the tree and took every...last...pear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or