U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-19-2011, 02:06 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,578,722 times

Advertisements

Well, I finished all my planting on Sunday. All 25 ostrich ferns are in the woods in various locations! I planted a white pine, a loblolly pine, 2 red maples (I got them because I am bitter that the tree I though was a red maple is an ornamental Japanese maple).

I also transplanted the hydrangea cuttings to the woods. In the beds around the house, I transplanted a Stella d'oro daylily, a lanceleaf coreopsis and moved the native grass I misplanted on Saturday. Who knew the thing is supposed to get to 6 feet? I am excited because it is my first grass! Is it going to take over my bed and make me wish I'd never planted it? oO Who Knows?!

LOL that's the fun of gardening.

Spring is supposedly the best time to plant grasses...so fingers crossed the roots do their thing before it gets too cold, otherwise it could croak. I also planted the native honeysuckle I had been DYING to get and twined it up the lattice a little. I got the orange one instead of Major Wheeler...Hopefully the hummers will love it.

I moved two peonies to make room for it. I also moved one of the lowbush blueberries from the drieway to the sunny part of the shade garden. The rabbit ate the three pink lemonade blueberries, and I need something to keep the peach tree company and sop up some of the soil moisture.

I was exhausted. My knees are complaining and I got 2 new cuts on my finger. LOL but it was nice. Of course I only got 1/3 of the grass in my property cut, and it rained again today. AND it is going to rain for the rest of the week. Well, I met the older neighbor and chitchatted at least. Cancer was the major theme of our conversation.

He looked pretty good, you know for an octogenarian. He did mention the grass LOL...and now he must suffer for what, another week? But for me and Nature the rain is awesome! Sooo, the rain hopefully means the ferns have a better shot at taking root in the woods.

My woods are FULL CHOCK-full of invasive species. It is really a little disheartening. I hope the squirrels and other animals which apparently have no natural predators don't destroy them...I need to say a prayer for the plants.

I now need to finish my front privacy plantings so I can say I finished something this year. LOL

(sorry I should put all this crap in my blog...LOL) I am going to cut it short.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:34 PM

984 posts, read 1,248,957 times
Default Lucky you

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Transplanted a dozen yellow pear tomatoes, a dozen grape tomatoes, and 2 dozen romas.
Its very dry here, which is unusual for this time of year, looks like I am going to be doing a lot of drip irrigation this fall.
That's nice that you can have tomatoes in the winter. Maybe I should consider a winter home in FL. Have fun.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:36 PM

984 posts, read 1,248,957 times
Good job Kinky.

I inspected my radishes and I see a few green sprouts, it's really exciting to see that.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM

23,443 posts, read 17,996,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
That's nice that you can have tomatoes in the winter. Maybe I should consider a winter home in FL. Have fun.
The only time of the year we cant really grow anything would be January, and maybe February.
The last couple of winters have been unusually cold, and the cold snaps have lasted a couple of weeks.
Hopefully that wont be the case this winter!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:56 AM

Getting ready to go out and plant beets today, chioggia and regular red beets.
I've never raised beets before, so this will be a learning experience!

Old 09-20-2011, 12:12 PM

50,058 posts, read 42,427,133 times
I have stopped picking, after another 1/2 doz okra, it is the end, or let's put it this way, I am tired of it. WE do have more and larger grape and cherry tomatoes now that the weather has cooled down. The problem: not how do I get the darn okra plants out or the ground. Boy are those some roots. WE will be leaving for a 3 week trip in a few weeks. I want to have the garden cleaned up by then except for the sweet pots. I think I will pick all the remaining tomatoes in a week or so and wrap them in newspaper to finish ripening.

Nita

Old 09-20-2011, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I have stopped picking, after another 1/2 doz okra, it is the end, or let's put it this way, I am tired of it. WE do have more and larger grape and cherry tomatoes now that the weather has cooled down. The problem: not how do I get the darn okra plants out or the ground. Boy are those some roots. WE will be leaving for a 3 week trip in a few weeks. I want to have the garden cleaned up by then except for the sweet pots. I think I will pick all the remaining tomatoes in a week or so and wrap them in newspaper to finish ripening.

Nita
I would try cutting the okra plants down to right below the lowest leaves, after a couple of weeks, they should pull right up.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:50 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,578,722 times
nmnita that's a good idea, maybe I'll pick my tomatoes. Apparently you can make a pickle out of green tomatoes. I'm going to try to make some kraut (and maybe kimchee) later in the year. It is so hard to find inexpensive ceramic crocks online. I decided to go for some anchor hocking jars.

Today I watered the new white shade garden under the pine. I checked the rest of the ferns in the woods. It turns out an animal or animals had dug up a couple of the ones I'd planted AND the red maple. The little darlings.

I'm planning to visit a couple of local nurseries today. At my favorite, nobody is EVER there. I wonder how they stay in business. They told me to stop by for the Fall sale. LoL. NO self control. I need to order mulch and pick out a couple of hollies at the other place.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
nmnita that's a good idea, maybe I'll pick my tomatoes. Apparently you can make a pickle out of green tomatoes. I'm going to try to make some kraut (and maybe kimchee) later in the year. It is so hard to find inexpensive ceramic crocks online. I decided to go for some anchor hocking jars.

Today I watered the new white shade garden under the pine. I checked the rest of the ferns in the woods. It turns out an animal or animals had dug up a couple of the ones I'd planted AND the red maple. The little darlings.

I'm planning to visit a couple of local nurseries today. At my favorite, nobody is EVER there. I wonder how they stay in business. They told me to stop by for the Fall sale. LoL. NO self control. I need to order mulch and pick out a couple of hollies at the other place.
I wish I had the stoneware crocks my grandmother used to make kraut.....I make kraut from her recipe, but I use food grade plastic buckets.
Here is an outstanding recipe for green tomato pickles;
Green Tomato Pickle Recipe | Hillbilly Housewife

Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM

50,058 posts, read 42,427,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Have you tried either Ebay or Amazon?

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden