Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I would try cutting the okra plants down to right below the lowest leaves, after a couple of weeks, they should pull right up.
thanks I will give it a try.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:50 AM

983 posts, read 2,532,564 times
My Okra is coming to an end too, we have been having rain the past few days and a few of the baby ones fell off the plant. I am waiting till it dries out then I will pull it. Slugs are eating what's left of my green peppers so I picked couple of them yesterday, should have done that a while back.

Old 09-23-2011, 11:55 AM

6,470 posts, read 16,346,988 times
You guys are so lucky to have okra. It is one of my favorite veggies! Unfortunately my seeds didn't sprout this year.

Old 09-23-2011, 12:01 PM

983 posts, read 2,532,564 times
I planted my okra from a seedling not seeds. I only had one plant but now I know that I need at least 2 or 3 if I really want to have a meal out of it. I will try it again for sure next spring.

Old 10-02-2011, 09:24 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,346,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have you tried either Ebay or Amazon?

Nita
Yep I tried amazon, but the "crocks" are expensive. I'm not sure about Ebay. It used to be great when the site first started, but I haven't had good luck getting stuff I want at good prices in the past couple of years. I may give them a try again. I decided to go for big glass jars. Sooo whenever the cabbages grow up...hopefully I can kraut them.

I decided to put in a bed behind my deck because it looked naked. I put in juniper, arborvitae and a couple of other things. It should be nice to see something else green in the wintertime. Of course it rained, so I'll have to put the rest in whenever it stops for a couple of days. I had to cancel the last weekend with my helper, but hopefully the weather will be OK before winter starts so we can finish the beds.

I also visited the other nursery on a whim and got some Dixie wood fern! Woot. The woods are still a long way off from being a gorgeous woodland garden, but now there are a couple more ferns. I planted a couple of the wintergreens and transplanted a shrub.

Old 10-03-2011, 07:48 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,325,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post
Yep I tried amazon, but the "crocks" are expensive. I'm not sure about Ebay. It used to be great when the site first started, but I haven't had good luck getting stuff I want at good prices in the past couple of years. I may give them a try again. I decided to go for big glass jars. Sooo whenever the cabbages grow up...hopefully I can kraut them.

I decided to put in a bed behind my deck because it looked naked. I put in juniper, arborvitae and a couple of other things. It should be nice to see something else green in the wintertime. Of course it rained, so I'll have to put the rest in whenever it stops for a couple of days. I had to cancel the last weekend with my helper, but hopefully the weather will be OK before winter starts so we can finish the beds.

I also visited the other nursery on a whim and got some Dixie wood fern! Woot. The woods are still a long way off from being a gorgeous woodland garden, but now there are a couple more ferns. I planted a couple of the wintergreens and transplanted a shrub.
I know what you mean about E-Bay, but I still use them some.

Nita

Old 10-03-2011, 07:59 AM

885 posts, read 1,517,252 times
Nothing, it is still raining here - we have had horrible flooding and yet it keeps raining for a month.

The crisp tans and browns of the perennial garden are floppy slimy tar-colored mounds

Old 10-03-2011, 09:31 AM

633 posts, read 1,945,256 times
Default Apple Tasting in the Rain

My wife and I have vacant land in E. Worcester, NY. The weather over the weekend was rainy so we were not able to do any field restoration work so we put on the rain gear and walk the property. The property has a lot of apple trees which we are trying to find then clear around them. The original trees were planted in the past, decades ago so many are 2nd or 3rd generation. So as we found trees that had apples I/we tasted them. They ranged from supper sweet to tart and tangy.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 PM

23,410 posts, read 36,887,768 times
Planted fennel and mammoth basil over the weekend.
The weather finally broke here in FL, so being out in the garden has been a joy over the weekend!

Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 AM

885 posts, read 1,517,252 times
Yesterday afternoon I mowed and limed the lawn

Today I will edge the lawn and clip up some of the dry material in the perennial garden; I like to leave as much of standing as possible for winter shelter for creatures
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden