Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 08:43 AM

242 posts, read 465,378 times

Advertisements

Picked tomatos, okra, yellow squash, butternut squash, and sweet corn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 10:47 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,862,536 times
Pulled weeds. Picked snow peas. Tomatoes still green, there's finally squash blossoms and the snap beans are finally coming up.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:48 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
Lovely to see all the "late" seasoners getting veggies at the same time I am.

I had a big squash-related job today:
Cutting holes in my squash stems, pulling out squash borer larvae and covering the stems w/ dirt. HOpefully they'll survive.

I am also watering my evergreens on the mixed evergreen hedgerow-in-progress.

Picked japanese beetles off the roses. I kidnapped one of the chickens and brought her inside to cuddle...she proceeded to cr@p three times in the house. Perhaps not my wisest move.

Saw a big rabbit and an YUCKY little baby rabbit. Grr Proceeded to spray repellent on all my favorite plants.

Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Cutting holes in my squash stems, pulling out squash borer larvae and covering the stems w/ dirt. HOpefully they'll survive.

Picked japanese beetles off the roses. I kidnapped one of the chickens and brought her inside to cuddle...she proceeded to cr@p three times in the house. Perhaps not my wisest move.

Saw a big rabbit and an YUCKY little baby rabbit. Grr Proceeded to spray repellent on all my favorite plants.
I had that problem last year! Those white grubs are so gross. I spent a whole afternoon doing surgery on my squash, and gave the birds a feast. I've been checking for bore holes every day, and sprinkled some Sevin 5 on the stems to try to prevent it this year. So far, everything looks good.

Old 07-10-2012, 12:46 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
Those white grubs are so gross.
They sure are, and I've seen plenty of them this season .
I treated everything with milky spore concentrate, and am praying they'll not be such a problem from now on.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinkytoes View Post

Boy you were having a good day, I can see that. As for the squash, good luck, I hope it works but I have always been under the impression when those creatures once get into the lhe stems it is a losing battle.

I am still trying to decide if i want to bother with planting anything for the fall. I did plant a few broccoli seeds last week and some sweet potatoes. The sweet potatoes have already, pretty much died, even with all the watering we are doing. I just don't think in our heat is worth trying to do too much more this year. Our temps are down, but we still have no rain. It is all around us, almost daily but we get maybe, 2 or 3 minutes at the most...

Old 07-10-2012, 08:18 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,874 times
I watered, and watered, and watered...(again). No rain predicted. I picked cucumbers and applied Sevin 5 to the stalks of my zukes and yellow squash (to try and prevent those larva burrowing into them). My neighbor up the road just lost two plants.

My okra are starting to flower, and I am starting to see tiny baby butternut squashes - I planted them next to the peas so they can vine over the pea trellises once the peas are over (which will be pretty soon, with the heat wave). The vines trailed everywhere last year.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 07-10-2012 at 08:27 AM..

Old 07-10-2012, 11:54 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
My garden is played out, except for the peppers and eggplant.
I have tomato starts going, along with cucumber and spaghetti squash.
Its just too flipping hot and buggy to get out and do much.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:52 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,391,935 times
I shouldn't have, but last night I bought creeping raspberry from Lowes! I should never go there. I planted them in the evening and I also transplanted two leftover phlox, which were are offspring of two clumps I moved in Spring.

I totally cannot resist plants! In the interest of frugality, I'm attempting to propagate softwood cuttings of hydrangea and kinikinick(sp?). But in my own defense, Lowes is selling these AWESOME groundcovers for under $2!

Supposedly summer's the best time to transplant/divide German Iris, as well. There's a big aggressive clump I'd like to move...but so far there's no suitable place to put it.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:17 PM

430 posts, read 1,694,328 times
I hand pollinated my "Spooktacular" variety of pumpkin. Lots of male flowers, very few female, along with heavy rains a few weeks ago that may have washed away the pollen so the bees couldn't do their thing. I've been getting lots of little pumpkins that grow to the size of a ping pong ball and then cleanly drop off the vine (even with support) and a little research suggests its lack of pollination.

Do my yellow zucchini need help with pollination? Zucchini are so prolific I'm thinking not...

I also heavily thinned my young Asian Pear tree of baby Asian pears... probably should thin the crop further oh but murder is so hard. ;-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden