U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 02:12 PM

24,082 posts, read 17,686,023 times

Advertisements

an entomologist kept track of how many he found in his house last winter:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 11:03 PM

4,896 posts, read 5,886,532 times
on my cucumber vine. When I mash them, they stink.....little buggers....

Old 09-17-2011, 10:19 AM

13,284 posts, read 10,660,890 times
We have a garden and small orchard and also have a screened in porch. The bugs love our screened in porch on the warmer days of fall.

To control them I do what we have done for Japanese Beetles. Just pour an inch of kerosene, charcoal lighter or paint thinner in an old plastic cup (like a cottage cheese container). Then take an old paint brush and hold the cup under the bug while you use the paint bush to knock them off the screen or the plant. Many you don’t even have to knock off - they fall right into the cup soon as you come up from underneath them. They cannot swim in the kerosene and they don’t smell.

One of these days I will try the improvised (soda bottle) beetle trap in my attic. For now I have them under control.

Old 09-27-2011, 09:29 AM

12,411 posts, read 15,981,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob12 View Post
Not sure, but when you squash them they sure stink.
Ha-ha. I use the vacuum and would not know - or sometimes I just herd them outside.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:00 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,313,083 times
Nasty! I have never seen one of those up here. I'm outside a lot, too. And to think they come inside as well, I hope they don't find their way here.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:34 PM

1,723 posts, read 3,194,468 times
They're baaaaaaccckkkk!

They must know colder weather is on its way because I sucked up 4 of them in the house this morning.

2 of them seemed to have longer legs than the other ones. Are they male and female? Will they soon be copulating on my curtain? I don't want stink bug babies.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:34 PM

9,565 posts, read 13,417,885 times
If you're missing any stink bugs I think I know where they went!
I had eight of them on my screen door the other afternoon, tons more on the windows, and even a few in the house.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:15 AM

24,082 posts, read 17,686,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauriedeee View Post
They're baaaaaaccckkkk!

They must know colder weather is on its way because I sucked up 4 of them in the house this morning.
yep, they're suddenly showing up again looking for winter shelter.

Quote:
2 of them seemed to have longer legs than the other ones. Are they male and female? Will they soon be copulating on my curtain? I don't want stink bug babies.
it's too late in the season, they won't be having any more eggs this year..

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
We have a garden and small orchard and also have a screened in porch. The bugs love our screened in porch on the warmer days of fall.

To control them I do what we have done for Japanese Beetles. Just pour an inch of kerosene, charcoal lighter or paint thinner in an old plastic cup (like a cottage cheese container). Then take an old paint brush and hold the cup under the bug while you use the paint bush to knock them off the screen or the plant. Many you donít even have to knock off - they fall right into the cup soon as you come up from underneath them. They cannot swim in the kerosene and they donít smell.

One of these days I will try the improvised (soda bottle) beetle trap in my attic. For now I have them under control.
instead of using something as nasty as kerosene, you can simply put a little dish soap in about an inch of water to break the surface tension so the little buggers sink. you're right about them turning the wall loose as soon as they sense something near them.

Old 09-28-2011, 10:48 AM

16,322 posts, read 12,623,562 times
...how sad that people don't enjoy those beautiful creatures. They're so cool!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:52 PM

6,474 posts, read 13,454,562 times
Ughhh. I got a cordless dustbuster so I can keep them out of the 'good' vacuum cleaner. So far OK but because the openign is so short, I stuff tissue in to keep them from crawling out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Garden